Friday, January 13, 2006

I don't like commas. In fact I don't like punctuation period. (no pun intended.) When did I begin to detest this demand on me to enter these ink blots within my writing? I do remember that it seemes English teachers didn't seem to like to teach grammar. I know in Mrs. Fulmer's class we would spend like two agonizing days learning where to put these street signs of writing and everyone would sweat it out anticipating their name being called to go to the board and look like an idiot. Then with a sigh of relief from the class and the teacher we would reenter the wonderful world of literature. In all punctuation commas have been the most baffling. My husband the journalist has tried to help me with it and I just smile and nod like I'm getting it but I'm not.(Don't tell..) I mean am I the only one who just thought you enter a comma when a breath is needed?
Oh and how come Webster gets to make up new words and decide what is a word. Why can't I? Today is a new day and I will begin with a new word that I will make up. I know I risk rejection from those who have bought into the lie of the Webster dictatorshop.
Today's word is commaphobic: a rational fear and aversion to a symbol that has traumatized one's life.

6 comment(s):

I spent several years smiling and nodding while your husband was explaining something to me regarding the English language. I had always prided myself on having a good sense of grammar and punctuation, but his copy editing class nearly kicked my tail. Managed to graduate, anyway!

By Blogger Deana Nall, at 8:07 AM  

ha ha that's funny Deana! I told Merlin and he laughed. He read my comma piece and said he's going to use it.

By Blogger Beverly, at 1:54 PM  

I adore you, Beverly. I never really thought of commas as a problem but as a solution. Now, get into semi-colons and I am not so comfortable. I have always loved spelling. However, I agree wholeheartedly with you about new words! I make them up all the time, and, I use them!

By Blogger Candy, at 8:55 AM  

Hey, new words are the lifeblood of a language. If you create a word, and someone else understands what you meant, it's a WORD, baby (or could we say, a baby-word?)!

I am an over-user of commas. I love the way Hemmingway breaks his sentence structures down to the short, explosive form of language. I'm trying to use fewer commas and break my sentences down a bit. It's all a part of my personal campaign to be more like Ernie.

By Blogger Scott, at 10:40 AM  

ha ha..what a concept Scott.

new word: moldmongous-the state of my refrigerator before I cleaned it out today.

By Blogger Beverly, at 1:21 PM  

my personal punctuation problem is ellipsis. i think it's because i write like i talk...

By Blogger janet, at 9:38 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home