Friday, August 04, 2006

"A lawn is nature under totalitarian rule." Michael Pollan, Second Nature, 1991


So yeah..my yard has like the longest grass in the neighborhood..
It bothered me at first..but not anymore..
You know there is a point where you feel like you should cut it then it keeps growing and after a week of tomorrows it just doesn't matter anymore.

Why am I not cutting my grass? Lets brainstorm..

1. I think its funny that the man across the street who cussed my son out has perfect grass but has to wake up every morning and look in my general direction.

2. You can drop stuff and not worry about picking it up.

3. When that one lady brings her dog down the street and unabashingly allows the dog to express himself in my yard, I don't have to look at it. (You know in West Texas people don't walk around with plastic bags in their hands picking up what their dogs drop.)

4. Theres a certain study in the evolution of weeds that one never sees when they so hastily cut them away.

5. Who pronounced one day that all mankind would not only cut their grass on a regular basis but water and fertilize it to make it grow faster? Have we bought into something so meaningless?

6.I don't freakin want to!



Her lawn
looks like a meadow,
And if she mows the place
She leaves the clover standing
And the Queen Anne's Lace.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay



12 comment(s):

Oh, the irony. I just sent my son out to mow the lawn right before I read your post. I think he would probably agree with the "I don't freakin' want to" sentiment. :-)

By Blogger reJoyce, at 11:05 AM  

In calgary it's against the law to not cut your grass. The city will come out and do it and send you a HEFTY bill in the mail. Same goes with shoveling your snow in the winter.

By Blogger Lucas, at 11:41 AM  

rejoyce..hahaha..how old it your boy?

blondie..good grief..really?

By Blogger Beverly, at 2:11 PM  

Yeah, AND picking up your dog's business! That's a hefty fine if you're caught leaving it there.

By Blogger Lucas, at 2:28 PM  

Here in Michigan if your lawn gets too long they will also come and mow it and send you the bill. (Happened to my son-in-law.)

The son I sent out to mow is 18. I've got another who is 16, but it wasn't his turn to do lawn duty today. (For which he was very grateful.)

By Blogger reJoyce, at 4:02 PM  

That's why god created children. To clean the house, to vacuum the carpets and to MOW the GRASS!!

Jeez...

he he he
jeremy

In Canada - well Montreal - you only cut your grass maybe three times, then winter comes and you don't mow for 6 months...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 PM  

Here in Calgary, people mow their lawn once a week, and people in Montreal don't shovel their snow in the winter either. And it's HORRIBLE!...

By Blogger Lucas, at 5:50 PM  

Stick it to the man...across the street

By Blogger Scott, at 8:37 PM  

That is very true Blondie...

People don't shovel snow in Montreal, the residents NOR the city workers. Snow removal is used as a bargaining chip each season for more money. it never fails.

Jeremy
Montreal

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 AM  

i never understood the concept of lawns either. give me prairie grass and sunflowers.

By Blogger Frustrated Writer, at 9:11 AM  

Hello Everyone:

If interested Organically Speaking a Seattle base website has released a conversation with Michael Pollan podcast (audio conversation). Interesting tidbits on farmers markets, CSAs, and more!

Some Podcast Show Note Questions:

Q) Why the price difference between conventional food and organic and how do we go about bringing down organic food prices?

Q) How can small local organic farmers remain local in a capitalistic system?

Q) What is the "Food Web" you briefly touch on in your book, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals.

http://OrganicallySpeaking.org

All the best,
-Ricardo

Holistic Conversations for a Sustainable World Who Share Your Passion for:

* high quality organic food
* natural, sustainable lifestyle
* ecology
* holistic health

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:42 AM  

I would like to have the perfect lawn. But I'm finding there is alot to do other than pursue it.

So I've changed my direction. If you have an extra $5 you can stop by my brand new Natural Illinois Lawn Weed Museum. We have a wide variety of weeds that fourish in the beautiful Midwestern climate.

See you there soon!

By Blogger Jim V, at 12:46 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home