Friday, July 20, 2007

I didn't want to runaway but I had to get away yo*

When I was in 2nd grade I wanted to run away. We lived in Tallahassee, Florida. The back of my house was a wooded area with great sink holes scattered through it. (If you are from Florida you know of the sink holes where the ground has just collapsed like a fallen cake and looks like a great volcano crater. They were really cool to ride up and down on your bicycles.) I told my sister of my plans to run away and she was just tickled to be of any assistance. Tarzan was my favorite show. I loved Jane, boy and of course Cheetah and thought, since I would be traveling through a wooded area, I would most likely run into Tarzan and his little family so I opened my suitcase and packed only underwear because well when you hang with Tarzan how much clothes do you really need? My sister filled a great big jar of water and suggested she might just walk me half way there. I looked at my house one last time and me with my suitcase and Sharon with my water set out on our journey through the woods. Now there was a sink hole gang back in those woods. This gang was made up of boys that made Huck Finn look like Shirley Temple. During our travels, as luck would have it, we came up on the Sink Hole Gang and they began to taunt us. They asked me what I was doing and I tried to explain in my little southern 2nd grade voice and then it happened. The leader of the gang looked down at my suitcase and I just remember thinking, "Oh no, please don't open my suitcase" because somehow Tarzan and Jane seeing my underwear seemed alot less embarrassing than this gang of bullies. And so it happened..he grabbed my suitcase and threw it down to the depths of the sink hole. (It seemed like a great Abyss but it was just about 20 feet deep.) My suitcase flew open and flying through the air like wounded birds were all my underwear. Sharon and I ran all the way home and by this time I guess Mamma had found my good bye note and took Sharon in a room and spanked her. I kinda felt bad that Sharon got a spanking and I didn't. I never got to experience life on my own or life with Tarzan and his family but I did get a glimpse of truth that running away generally never solves things it usually generates more obstacles along the way.

*From "Runaway" by Wyclef Jean

8 comment(s):

You have told this story sooo well - loved it - and funnily enough there were similarities with a few incidents in my childhood! dramatic stuff and very funny.

By Blogger gracie, at 9:34 PM  

I feel like I was with you during that embarassing moment!! oh girl, you had me LAUGHING ( sorry ) but I believe God put those bullies there so you would GO HOME!!

I was a "Flipper" fan....I wanted to live right ON THE WATER just like Sandy & Bud!!!

By Blogger Dina, at 10:28 PM  

Why in the WORLD did Sharon get a spanking? That is the really funny/tragic part of the story that I was not expecting!

By Blogger Cole, at 1:10 AM  

I love this story--what GREAT storytelling.

I agree so much with the last sentence. For me, at least.

By Blogger Laurie, at 11:22 AM  

Bev,
Hey girl! I was just thinking about ya and thought I'd hop over to your blog...I haven't read it in forever. Hope you're doing great and loving the Summer!!! Love you!!
Katie

By Blogger Katie, at 2:47 PM  

I hope that you got to buy new underwear after that crazy incident!

By Blogger julie, at 8:41 PM  

gracie..thanks

dina...flipper..oh my goodness I loved flipper!

Cole..I know, just doesn't seem right huh. I think my Mom picked up on Sharon's desires to have me gone..haha..

laurie..oh man..things like this have happened to me all my life..

katie...I love you too..busy summer working but its been good.

julie..well, hmmm..i suppose so.

By Blogger Beverly, at 7:04 AM  

I LOVE the image of your underwear 'flying through the air like wounded birds'!!

Too bad none of it landed on any of the Sink Hole Gang, trapping them in their tracks. What a picture! (Did you ever call those boys the Stink Hole Gang?)

What a gift your storytelling is, Bev. Wish I could meet you and Sharon once again around a campfire in the Rockies with a steaming mug of cocoa for some more of your pictures in words.

Cheers!
:)

By Blogger Deb, at 3:36 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home