Tuesday, July 17, 2007

To tell the ones who hear no sound Whose sons are living in the ground Peace on Earth*

I was watching the ESPY awards with Sam last night and was moved by this story of two men, from opposite sides of the war, bringing all the children together to play basketball. The story brought all the athletes to their feet when these two champions stepped onto the stage to recieve the Arthur Ashe humanitarian award.







Rugby player Trevor Ringland, a Protestant and Dave Cullen, described as a Catholic who "grew up using basketball to escape from the realities of war" teamed up to create PeacePlayers to bring both sides together on the basketball court.







*From "Peace On Earth" by U2

5 comment(s):

I tried to organize a fencing match between the Jets and the Sharks, and no one gave ME the Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award.

Seriously, peace IS possible when people have the courage to step between the lines like this. Great post.

By Blogger Scott, at 9:08 AM  

I usually need a few Kleenex to get through documentaries like that!

By Blogger gracie, at 3:18 PM  

Hey! I havnt heard from you in a long time, so I was just checking in! I hope that everything is going well! Talk to you later!

By Blogger kenzie, at 8:53 PM  

Remember that story from WWI (or maybe WWII--the big one) where they called a truce on Xmas Day and the guys on the front lines came together to play soccer and had a party? Tracy Shilcutt knows all about it, but THAT documentary kills me.

By Blogger Cole, at 6:21 AM  

scott..hahaha..right..yep, peace is possible.

gracie..I know..I was wiping tears away..

kenzie..so good to know you are good.

cole..yes, this is one of my favorite stories. I have to get Tracie to tell me all about it. Collin Raye sings a christmas song about this story and Johnny Cash narrates it. The song is called "It Could Happen Again." Its one of my favorites!

By Blogger Beverly, at 7:09 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home