Monday, June 25, 2007

Lady Madonna, children at your feet. Wonder how you manage to make ends meet. *


I was touched by the love of Jesus when a worn out mother with one too many little arms and legs in her cart asked me if I wanted to go ahead of her in line at Wal-Mart. She was trying to shuffle two active little kids. Her beautiful black face was worn from darkness in her life but was bright from the experiences she had chosen to focus on. Of course I refused, pointing out the fact that she had much more going on in her cart than me. And yet..I felt this wanting to ask ..will you be my friend because I want a friend like you? I smiled all the way home and felt I had seen more character in that precious young mother than I had seen all year.


*From "Lady Madonna" by Paul McCartney

13 comment(s):

Beauty comes from unexpected places. She'd likely be the very best kind of friend.

By Blogger Scott, at 12:34 PM  

Such a beautiful post. I can't help wishing she could read this...

By Blogger Laurie, at 2:25 PM  

I see that your logo emphasizes "Always No Union." When I was a student at Harding, we toured the Wal-Mart HQ in Bentonville. They told us about a rumor that when Sam Walton heard about employees at any distribution center talking about unionizing, the facility would immediately shut down and relocate. That sounds expensive, but I am sure it saved the company money in the long run; unions are notorious for making short-term gains while tanking the company as a whole.

I had forgotten about that tour...it must have been 1988.

By Blogger Cole, at 5:57 AM  

scott..I like unexpected..

laurie..I do too..

cole..you crack me up..well, I don't know much about unions but sounds like you do..you can enlighten my apolitical mind...

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:49 AM  

What a beautiful vignette, Bev. I would like to meet her.

By Blogger Katie, at 9:50 AM  

Beverly, my favorite posts of yours are the ones about random people that you encounter. Random people touch in much the same way. We should go shopping together.
Cole, we should have a union discussion but let me warn you that I am on the other side of the fence....grew with a Union dad and have worked in one union hospital and one nonunion hospital....day and night. And you probably don't have to guess which one was day and which one was night....well, from my point of view.

By Blogger julie, at 1:10 PM  

this mother has NO idea how moved you were...that is awesome when you can reach someone without even trying!!!!

By Blogger Dina, at 3:36 PM  

What kept you from asking her that question? Maybe she would have liked to know that she moved you.
"I'm trying to tell you something about my life.Maybe give me insight between black and white.
The best thing you've ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life after all.Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
And lightness has a call that's hard to hear.I wrap my fear around me like a blanket.I sailed my ship of safety till I sank it, I'm crawling on your shore.
I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains.I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain.There's more than one answer to these questions pointing me in crooked line and the less I seek my own source for some definitive the closer I am to fine". Indigo Girls. Easier said than done I suppose

By Blogger PointMaker, at 8:58 PM  

Bev I love you post...that should be sent in a letter to those men and me as a reminder...thanks.

By Blogger happytheman, at 5:24 AM  

katie...let's go find her

julie..welcome and lets do go shopping. I have heard wonderful things about you. Random...well, random is my favorite part of life.

dina..your right its mind blowing that we could touch someone without them knowing it.

gogo..welcome and wow those lyrics are amazing...and yep, it is..

happy..are you talking about this post or the one I deleted?

By Blogger Beverly, at 7:17 AM  

Gogo, the Indigo girls are my favorite. I know just everything of theirs and love it all.

By Blogger julie, at 11:48 AM  

I love the Indigo Girls. Closer to fine is one of my all time favorites

By Blogger Laurie, at 3:56 PM  

the one you deleted.

By Blogger happytheman, at 5:33 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home