Wednesday, May 30, 2007

You get a line, I'll get a pole*




I have never been fishing but I like the notion of it. I sat in my car at the park the other night and watched an old black man perched on his lawn chair holding his fishing pole like an old friend. Although my windows were rolled up it just seemed as though there was a quiet about him. It was as though this was his drug, his "antidepressant" to quiet his soul. I wanted to go sit beside him and soak it up..that stillness...that sureness that this is exactly where I choose to be and want to be right now. I think next time I will go up and sit beside him...

When we would get the Dallas Morning News I would always go to the Life section and read who those important VIPs would invite to their dream dinner if they could ask anyone.
So..I was thinking about if I would go fishing, and I could invite anyone to go fishing with me, who would it be?

Of course I would invite the greatest fisherman of all. I think I should also like to invite Dr. Seuss. This man had a knack with words that could touch and inspire the hearts of young and old. I still cry when I read about the Grinch's heart growing. My friend Kate has reminded me of some great quotes lately. And then of course I would invite Will Ferrell, Mother Theresa, Bill Murray, Sylvia Plath (I want to make sure she's okay.), William Shakespeare, Harriet Tubman, Peter (I should think he and Will will get along famously.), and Mini. (She ironed clothes for my Mom when I was a child and I would sit at the ironing board listening to her for hours.).

Who would you want to take fishing with you?

*From "Boondocks" by Little Big Town

9 comment(s):

Actually I don't like to fish, but do enjoy walking my boston terrier. Is that ok?

By Blogger ROD, at 4:06 PM  

Rod..welcome and absolutely!!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:49 PM  

Bev, I love that you would invited Sylvia Plath to fish with you. I think she would be warmed by your presence and your smile. I love you!

By Blogger Katie, at 7:36 AM  

Confession: I love to fish, and for all the reasons you've noted. But fish are gross. I just can't man-up enough to pull a wriggling fish off the hook. Solution: I fish without a hook. I tie bait to the end of the line and let the fish take it. Don't tell.

So who would I invite? You, I think. I've never met you, but a few hours of listening to a mixture of your "kid stories" and the lakeside silence of nature sounds pretty nice. Ever sit in one spot for two whole hours and not say a word? It's free therapy.

How about Nelson Mandella? I have a short attention span for major life projects, and here's a guy that sat in prison for decades knowing he was right, knowing that justice would prevail. That's some serious attention span.

Lance Armstrong, with one rule: No bike talk. I bet he'd like that rule anyway. I see a theme here: People who stick to their guns on the basis that they know they are right even when every ounce of evidence around them screams to them that they are wrong.

Great question. Thanks for the thought-prodding.

By Blogger Jim V, at 8:12 AM  

hey! How are u? I havnt been on here in forever!!

By Blogger kenzie, at 9:22 PM  

Who is Sylvia Plath?

By Blogger Vonnie, at 12:14 AM  

Beverly, I love that you noticed the man fishing by himself and feel his stillness. Don't some people just strike you that way? That you can just feel their stillness, joy, sadness, or whatever just by being near them?

By Blogger julie, at 8:03 PM  

What a great post, Beverly, although I have personally never, ever, felt the desire to fish. :) I understand the lure of stillness, though, as well as the joy of being with those rare people in your life who want to share it with you.

Vonnie, Sylvia Plath was a writer, mostly known for her poetry, and a mother. Sadly, she suffered from depression and commited suicide. Thinking on her death makes me so sad....

By Blogger Laurie, at 9:46 PM  

katie..aww..yeah,Sylvia could definately chill..we could talk about our fathers.

jim v..man, you made me smile and laugh. You crack me up. Your secret is safe with me.

kenzie..well, i'm just fine, how are you?

vonnie..sylvia plath was an amazing poet with a tortured soul that spoke to me alot.

julie..yes, exactly..


laurie...isn't it interesting that Jesus called fisherman..

By Blogger Beverly, at 11:04 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home