Saturday, May 12, 2007

no, you're not alone*


Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

I usually don't get into these kind of movies but of course this IS Tolkien.
You know Sam, in Lord of the Rings, just makes me want to be a better person. Don't you just love him?
I want to learn from all that has happened this year and come out of it all a better person. I want to be like Sam. I want to remember the good amidst all the bad and I want to use what I have learned and ,walking with Him, make this a better place for those I come in contact with. I want not to be overcome by evil but overcome evil with good.(Romans 12:21)

Tolkien said, "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

And here's to all the Sams in my life who have picked me up and reminded me of this...

*From "You're Not Alone" by Embrace

4 comment(s):

A lovely post, Bev, and a striking declaration!

By virtue of the ingenuous spirit the Sams of this world compel us not to memorialise the evil events or the sadness that happens in our lives, but to uphold all the goodness and beauty that stands in the clearing, encouraging us to get on with our lives in the present and move forward to that which is ahead.

Each of us experiences a differing journey as we find our way to that clearing. When we finally get there and feel the love of those who made it before us, hopefully we will understand better how to extend our embrace to those who have yet to reach it. And we will appreciate what others went through to get to the clearing before we even knew it existed.

Thanks for the reminder! :)

By Blogger Deb, at 3:00 AM  

This is one of my favorite scenes in those three movies. Beautiful and poignant and TRUE. Hold on, Bev, and we'll hold on with you, and we'll keep fighting for the good. I love you.

By Blogger Katie, at 6:32 AM  

Oh Beverly, I don't even know what to say after reading that, it touched me so deep. I can't even begin to tell you how much you mean to me. I love you

By Blogger Kate Eason, at 9:00 AM  

MAN I love that conversation. My other fave was when the fellowship was in Durin...

Frodo:I wish none of this had happened.

Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Great post.

By Blogger Scott, at 10:28 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home