Monday, May 28, 2007

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother. ~ William Shakespeare~


I don't know why Memorial Day has never been like a big day for me or my family. I hear everyone planning cookouts and having a great time.

Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.

I wonder if they had a big cookout on that day?...


So I'm flipping through the channels and catch the last of a Memorial Day tribute. I watched Mothers wipe their tears away and I put the remote down. I watched wives and brothers and sisters and children wipe their tears away. In this moment of realized ignorance of the absence of a love one lost as recent as last week, I am moved. I am humbled. I am embarrassed.

I want all our women and men home from the war now. I am full of gratitude and apologies to those who has served and are serving and those who have lost or will lose a loved one. It is something to big for me to grasp that someone would die for me like that.


thank you....

2 comment(s):

We were setting up for OUR big bbq this morning when four jets flew over the house for the memorial at Punchbowl National Cemetery (1/2 mile from my house). As they reached the cemetery, the lead jet took off for the sky, symbolizing the loss of a comrade - you can't HELP but get a lump in your throat.

By Blogger Scott, at 1:15 PM  

I appreciate this post and join you in expressing my sincere gratitude for all who have offered such service and sacrifice. I now understand why we try to express gratitude and honor through moments of silence... there really are no adequate words.

By Blogger Laurie, at 9:59 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home