Thursday, May 24, 2007

School's out for summer*



Things I'll miss:

"Ms. Mann, am I your best friend?" "Yes Josh, of course you're my best friend." "You are my best friend, Ms. Mann."

Gillian tells me she is going to give ME a present at her birthday party and then falls into my arms.

"Goodbye Ms. Mann, I love you. See ya in the morning." "I love you too Connor."

"Ms. Mann, I like your ring. It looks like an alien spaceship."

"Ms. Mann, you're silly."

"Ms. Mann, you can move to Tennessee with me."

I get a bit long winded when telling them how to treat each other and they respond, "That's enough talk." To which I laugh and say, "Okay guys."

I'll miss using blankets to make tents when thunderstorms come along.

I'll miss a little girl who with her braids going every which way gives me a hug when I see her at lunch.

I'll miss looking out my window watching a worn out mother who looks too young to have three kids walking into school with her little ducks following close behind.(God bless LBJ for fighting for HeadStart.)

I'll miss playground time when I am so honored to be invited into their world of make believe.

I'll miss my kids signing "I love you" to me during lunch.

I'll miss each one jumping up during lunch,when they are suppose to be in their seats, and giving me a back rub or hugging me telling me they love me.

My little class graduated today. We had a ceremony in my classroom filled with proud parents and excited little boys and girls. I only got choked up a couple of times. They chose the songs to do for their program. We did the chicken dance first, then the Three Little Pigs and finally the freeze dance.

It is hard to say goodbye to this class because they filled my heart this year when at times I felt empty. They turned the lights on with their love when things were dark. They rained down on me in the midst of a drought and they warmed me with their blankets of kindness.

Thank you my beautiful class...I will miss you!


*From "School's Out For Summer" by Alice Cooper

9 comment(s):

I was just telling Tom this morning, as we drove by an elementary school, that I always loved the last day of school. Today was the last day of classes in Tucson, but I had my last day on the Friday before we left for Pepperdine lectures. It sounds like you had a great "first year". I sort of remember my first year (67-68). I am glad you will be working this summer. I have always wanted to work in a library.

By Blogger Vonnie, at 7:03 PM  

Such a sweet post. Today was our last day, too, and it was a sweet one.

Congrats on the library job! That does sound like fun...

By Blogger Laurie, at 8:59 PM  

bev, what a great post. you brought tears to my eyes with all the sweet details and remembrances. i could see all those little kids. hope your summer is good and that your next class is just as wonderful!

By Blogger janet, at 6:11 AM  

I'm so glad you had your class to love on you, Bev. What sweet memories and fun times! I know they will miss you too.

By Blogger Katie, at 6:53 AM  

I just love what the Lord can do through children! I love ya!

By Blogger Sarah, at 7:47 AM  

Wow, Beverly -- you were made to be a teacher. What a precious ministry you have at that school!

We'll be at ACU the fourth week of July for K4 -- maybe I'll see you again this year!

By Blogger Deana Nall, at 9:14 AM  

"How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat???"

Congrats on your first year done.

By Blogger Scott, at 3:01 PM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Blogger alex, at 5:40 PM  

Beverly,

that was soo sweet. Although I'm no longer at the school...I DO MISS the kids and know how you could love them and miss them sooo much.

By Blogger Dina, at 10:02 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home