Monday, July 02, 2007

how still my heart, how high the moon*



"Come here Mom!"

I was thinking back over this last year. I was thinking of the glimmers of light in the darkness just like the twinkling stars and the bright moon in the dark night sky. These were to me my little miracles.
One came to mind that made me smile.One night I was on the phone with a friend crying and wondering how I was going to make it through another day. I was overwhelmed by everything at that moment when Sam came into the room and I quickly got myself together wiping my tears away. Sam said, "Mom, come here I want to show you something." I followed Sam out my bedroom door, into the living room out the back sliding glass door. He stood in the middle of the yard, looking at me smiling as if he knew that what he was going to show me was a miracle and would calm my anxious heart. He slowly lifted his hand and pointed to the sky. There was the most beautiful moon I had ever seen and I am sure that I will ever see again. Sam and I stood there silent taking it all in, filling our lungs with the oxygen of the moment. I looked at him and thanked him. Suddenly I was at peace...
Imagine the surprise of my friend, who I had left on hold while I saw to Sam, when I got back on the phone laughing and crying and telling her that my worries had just melted away in my back yard beside my boy.


*From "How High the Moon" by Ella Fitzgerald

6 comment(s):

what a beautiful post Beverly!! timing is EVERYTHING!! THAT AND KIDS!!!

By Blogger Dina, at 12:02 PM  

Your son has a beautiful soul. I think it is a genetic inheritance.

By Blogger gracie, at 7:27 PM  

I'm reading Anne Lamott's Plan B right now, and I've thought a lot about you when reading it. I think the big thing is that you both have Sams in your households. But I love getting an honest, yet grippingly tender glimpse into parenting from that book and your blog posts.

Shall we reschedule our dinner (me, you, Katie and Scott) for sometime this week?

By Blogger Jeremiah, at 10:25 AM  

This is something. Good on Sam, and good on you for being open to his love in dark times.

By Blogger Scott, at 10:30 AM  

dina..yes, kids, oh my kids how they have taught me..

gracie..yes indeed he does.

jeremiah..I just began reading Traveling Mercies and I like it and I like her. Dinner would be great!

scott..good on Sam is right and that boy is precious in spite of me...

By Blogger Beverly, at 11:23 AM  

beautiful..beautiful! I agree wholeheartedly with everything said here.

By Blogger Laurie, at 10:10 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home