Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Push me off to start the fun on a bike ride to the moon.*



I was riding Louise (my bike) around Nelson Park last week and encountered the sweetest scene in fact I felt like I was intruding on this milestone moment that should only be shared with this small family.


Listening to my tunes and making my last lap of my 8 mile ride I see this precious little family has overtaken the path. The Mom is pushing the stroller and the Dad has his hand firmly on the back of the seat of the cutest little boy who is embarking on the adventure of a lifetime: learning to ride a bike. At the same time I was going around, the Father, let go of the seat and the little boy and I ended up on the same path. I was behind him encouraging him, "Go, go, go." I rode past him and left them as not to intrude any longer. When I came back around he had ridden by himself leaving his little family behind. I think he heard me coming because he stopped and looked around at me with a big smile and I held up my hand and he gave me five as I passed. So much said in the exchanged smiles, nods and high fives. He knew I was proud of him and he was proud of himself.
*From "Bike Ride to The Moon" by Xtc








8 comment(s):

I like this story. I fell riding a bike about 15 years ago and I haven't been on a bike since. I am doing fine walking on the treadmill though. I am up to one and a half miles in 30 minutes and have not fallen once.

By Blogger Vonnie, at 5:57 PM  

I just wrote a whole post about how screwed up my priorities are.

And then I came here and READ your post about how perfectly aligned yours are.

Do you have even the slightest clue how good it is to know a person like you?

By Blogger Jim V, at 3:58 AM  

very cute! I love the exchange you had with this kid - you made him feel so big!
My girl was very funny when she learned to ride - she would go a few meters then fall, get off, kick the bike a few times and storm off behind a tree! Then she'd come sneaking back and repeat the whole process!!!

By Blogger gracie, at 5:55 AM  

Just the other day I was driving through downtown Fort Worth and I saw an old man giving (what must have been) a six year old boy a crude looking cigarrete. I thought to myself: "Man, what I wouldn't do to have the days in the alleyway with Grandpa back".

By Blogger Mark Weathers, at 6:25 PM  

vonnie..way to go...hold on tight!

jim v..jim, jim, jim..you are very sweet.

gracie..that is a precious story.

MARK WEATHERS!!! you crazy boy..

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:33 PM  

Being on a bike is like being on a time machine. I always feel like a kid when I'm riding.

Good on you for connecting with a future cycling geek (we can dream, can't we Jim?)

By Blogger Scott, at 5:19 AM  

That sounds like the best bike ride you could ever have

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:21 AM  

That's wonderful. Thanks for sharing, Bev.

By Blogger Katie, at 1:07 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home