Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What the world needs now is love sweet love no not just for some but for everyone*

I'm exhausted. The end of my day begins with my falling down on my couch with a very heavy sigh. There is a boy in my class that the counselor at school tells me has to be in the top 5 of the most defiant and control freaks she has known. My days are spent directing him and redirecting him with him screaming "I don't want to!" or "I hate this!" I must confess my thoughts at the beginning of school were that maybe he will drop out or move away that is until I heard his story. Both his parents are in prison and his grandmother is raising him. After I heard that I begged God to forgive my previous thoughts of him maybe getting some extreme prolonged case of chicken pox and proceeded to buckle my seat belt and realize that this boy just may be in my room for a reason and I may be the one responsible to show this boy some alternatives to hate and anger.

Today I sat on the floor beside his mat and rubbed his chest as he fought sleep. I whispered to him to sleep that he must be exhausted. Then I began to pray for him. I just whispered my prayer and he looked in my eyes and watched me. I looked out over the room of sleeping little bodies on their mats and then felt his hand slip into mine. I felt warm and knew this was a holy moment.

I ask you to pray for me ..that God will give me courage and strength and for me not to forget to find the joy in the moments that arise in my room with him. I ask that you pray for this boy. I can't say his name for confidentiality reasons but I bet ya God will know exactly who you are talking about.

I love you all and pray that we all can love each other as He wants and asks of us..



*From "What The World Needs Now" by Jackie DeShannon

9 comment(s):

Too bad there are no longer "post of the week" awards. Seriously, it's hard for some people (even kids) to understand what love is. Good on ya for making that clear to him.

By Blogger Scott, at 3:55 PM  

bev,
you are so sweet. this post made me misty. i{ll pray for this boy. you are already a blessing to him as you are to everyone you encounter. keep going, girl!

and why would scott say too bad there are no more posts of the week? isn{t that his fault!? i was just thinking of how much i miss the ol blog wrap up he would do.

i love your blog and you too!

By Blogger janet, at 9:26 AM  

I'm so glad that boy has you, Bev. You are just the person to love on him.

I love you and miss you!

By Blogger Katie, at 9:49 AM  

I have just said a prayer for him. I was just thinking about blogging about a little girl in the class I started this year. She is in third grade but at about a K level. When I opened the class I did not expect her to do the same work as the other children, but evidently the "new" experienced teacher has all the children doing the same work (except the one boy who is autistic and as a one on one aide). She has begun to cry every time she thinks she can't do something. I was in the class on Monday and the teacher (who had come in to finish up her lesson plans) told me they were beginning to get her crying under control and I thought "what crying?" Well after being there on Monday and again today (and I will be there tomorrow) I now know what she is talking about. I don't know if I should say anything to the teacher or not. But it breaks my heart to see her cry. So please pray for her and for me to have wisdom on how to handle this. On a positive note there is a boy in this class that I have known since K and he was the most oppositional defiant child I had ever seen. He was in the special class under this category. He is still in a special class but he has made oodles of improvement. He is probably the smartest boy in the class and is beginning to leave the room for math on his grade level. He is also on medication. Sorry for such a long post on your blog, but I didn't feel right blogging about it on mine.
Oh, and I miss Scott's "post of the week" awards too. Maybe we can shame him into doing it again .

By Blogger Vonnie, at 5:43 PM  

scott..post of the week?...if i remember correctly that was heck to get so i am honored for the thought..

janet...thank you thank you for the prayers. i miss the blog wrap too!..and i love you.

katie..so sweet and i miss you too..

vonnie..this breaks my heart too..i am so glad you are there and i am so touched that you notice her tears..that is just a gift..and i will pray for these too.

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:22 PM  

Beverly, I have tears reading this. You write beautifully here; it is as if your heart is on this page. You and yours (including this little one) have my thoughts and prayers.

By Blogger Laurie, at 9:48 PM  

Bev,

When Victoria was working at Lee as a teacher's aide, she would frequently talk about some of the "problem" kids in her classes. I told her that school might be the only place they ever have a chance to be treated well and she might be there to show them some love and compassion. Thank God that we have people like you in the school system. You can make such a difference in a child's life. I see the parents these kids have to live with, and I know that school is often a refuge for them and bless you and others who take the time to see them as God's children. Keep up the good work and may God lift your arms up and keep you strong.

By Blogger pawatson, at 4:53 PM  

oh, bev. you'll change his little life for sure. even if you just make him feel good inside, that is change enough.

my cousin (my age) teaches little ones and her favorites are always the "worst" ones. and the "worst" ones always love her, even if they are still misbehaved. she teaches a higher grade than last year, and requested to have this one little girl in her class who she had last year. the student is terrible on a regular basis, yelling and all. but she knows absolutely no other way because her mother is terrible to people, too. so my cousin told her she loved her, every single day last year. the student is happy to be back in my cousin's class, even though she is still a handful, because she knows she is loved. you teachers mean the WORLD to these kids.

By Blogger laura g, at 8:18 AM  

beverly,

That was such a Godly moment, when you were praying for him and he held your hand. Out of the gate he's got such hard things going on...just needs your love & prayers.thanks for being you!

By Blogger Dina, at 1:16 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home