Tuesday, February 07, 2006


"There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible." ~Atticus Finch! To Kill A Mockingbird

I wish Atticus was my neighbor...
I am so sad about what is happening to our neighborhoods. We have become an automatic garage door society where coming face to face with someone on your street can be avoided.
We had some new neighbors move in about a year ago. I went over to introduce myself. I asked them where they had moved from and the man said, "I am a retired police officer from Arlington and we moved here to get away from hoodlums." Oh boy, I thought, these are going to be some fun neighbors.
These neighbors are very meticulous in their growing of their grass.(we grow grass to cut it ...that baffles me) One day, some boys were over playing basketball and the ball rolled on the hallowed grass and this black kid ran and got it. The man came out of his house screaming, "Get off of my yard!!" The boys all ran into the house and told me this story. I explained that there are two types of neighbors. There is the one who when he is on his death bed he can say, "Man, I had a beautiful yard." Then there is the one who on his death bed can say, "Man, I had a lot of fun with those kids on my yard!"
There is alot of activity at my house. Kids are coming and going and I love it that way. I would much rather these kids be at our house then out doing something crazy. This summer it was college kids having movie nights and not leaving till the wee hours of the morning. On SuperBowl Sunday I had 45 middle school boys and girls at my house. They were out playing basketball when someone came running in saying the police were outside. I wonder who called the police...I went out talking to the Policewoman who, by the way, was a friend of mine. She said somebody called and told them someone needs to come talk to these parents about kids playing basketball in the street. The Police just told the kids to move out of the way if a car comes, then go back to playing.
I don't know, is it just me, or does this just stink. My son can't play football in our backyard because the neighbors in the back didn't like his football going in their yard.
Is there no more borrowing sugar?...Is there no more breaking someone's window with your baseball?...Is there no more watching out for each other?

“I think I’m beginning to understand why Boo Radleys stayed shut up in his house all this time…it’s because he wants to stay inside." TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

13 comment(s):

Good one Bev. We really have lost the art of neighboring. At our old house we had an open yard policy. Everyone was out in the front yard in lawn chairs and the kids were all over the place playing tag and riding bikes and it was such fun. We miss that more than anything else. We intentionally moved into another cul-de-sac to try and recreate the atmosphere of the old one, but alas, it hasn't come about. I miss my old neighbors. I wish we lived next door to you. Imagine the fun we would have!!

By Blogger Candy, at 6:00 AM  

I just love Atticus Finch!
You have been in my thoughts and prayers sweet Beverly!

By Blogger Lauren, at 7:29 AM  

Great post! I have spent the last ten years as a military wife, and therefore, moving. We have moved from neighborhood to neighborhood, and I have just come to realize that there, indeed, is no more borrowing sugar. There is watching out for each other, though--in the form of the neighborhood association leaving notices on your door to take down your Christmas lights and mow your yard. (It is only January, people! Give us time to get the family out of our house. And, seriously, the grass needed to be mowed, true, but BARELY).

I realize that I have some responsibility to get out and be neighborly, but it's hard to know how to do that anymore. It is a sad fact that I literally would not even recognize my neighbors if I ran smack into them in the store or something. This fact depresses me.

What a great book!

By Blogger Laurie, at 7:57 AM  

Candy..I only wish you lived next door!

Lauren..I cry in the movie, because my Dad was absent and I always wished Atticus was my Dad.



Laurie,
Good luck with the neighborhood association..that's hilarious. You can come borrow sugar from me anytime..

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:48 AM  

Beverly - This is a great post. When my wife and I moved into Oak Lawn (a predominantly gay community in uptown Dallas), we were SHOCKED to have "neighbors." People who actually wanted to chat in the yard, share vehicles, travel together to the store, etc. There are places where people are eager to be neighbors, but they are indeed rare.

By Blogger Scott, at 10:10 AM  

Scott..man, that sounds good. What does Frost mean?
Good fences make good neighbours. ~ Robert Frost

By Blogger Beverly, at 12:31 PM  

Individuality has raided our community leaving us with a loss of community. How can we possibly function outside of community. That is why our churches struggle, because Americanaism is invading our lives. The question now is how do we live in this new type of world and bring Christ to those who don't understand it.

By the way -Who retires to Abilene so that they can grow green grass? And what's the point of grass if you can't enjoy its blades under your feet or see kids twirl and play in its beauty?

By Blogger Michael, at 1:51 PM  

Weeeeelllll, Frost was a New Englander - those people are just socially retarded (smirk).

By Blogger Scott, at 2:38 PM  

Hey Bev!! I miss Dr. Whitworth's class...good times...so great to hear from ya!

By Blogger Me, at 2:56 PM  

Michael...I don't get the whole grass thing either! Your right about our need to find a way to reach those who have hidden behind closed doors..that can be a very dangerous place.

Emily...I know, I miss that class where he would always pick your table to act as the mentally challenged! I wonder why that always happened..hmmm....

By Blogger Beverly, at 3:51 PM  

These three remain, faith, hope and love. And the greatest is love.

By Blogger Clint, at 6:27 PM  

Across the street live a early-60s couple who all the neighborhood kids hated because they asked the kids not to play in their yard.

When my daughter was about four, she drew some pictures for the couple and wanted to take the pictures to them, since they didn't have any children living at home any more. I gulped hard, agreed, and went with her.

I hope you can guess the rest--the man and his wife have adored my daughter ever since, and bring her goodies every Easter and Christmas. And she doesn't play in their yard.

By Blogger English Professor, at 4:29 PM  

E.P....Great idea...I made Sam take cookies to the neighbors next door who got after him for being in their yard..not the happy ending you had...Sam begged me never to make him do that again..pretty funny

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:52 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home