Saturday, April 22, 2006

...And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me....

My job was to stand in the lane, at the finish line, ready to welcome the olympian with hugs and high 5's...We cheered our particular olympian on...I saw smiles..I saw some, never looking at the track, just looking up to the stands...I saw determined faces...I never once saw an unhappy face today, at the Special Olympics. One of my guys just couldn't stop laughing and he looked in my eyes and said, "I ran the whole way." Yes, you did buddy..I heard them cheering each other on..I heard.."I did it." I heard, "You did it!" I was sheepishly hugged and hugged by one big guy who lingered a bit long in our embrace, but ..that was okay. Oh, I am in love with Eric...He was awesome. He ran the 400 in one minute 7 seconds..All of us stood with our mouths wide open watching him turn the corner, never slowing down. He walks around like he is the leader. When he talks, you can't understand him, but those who live with him do. He cheers everyone on. He got up to throw the javelin (ok..not his event) and threw it really lousy ...everyone cheers and he walks back to his seat shrugging.."my arm hurtin." I just loved him...he would turn around and wave to me.
I called Sam and told him I was coming to get him because he just had to see this! Sam and three other 8th graders came along and they loved it. I pointed out this one guy who looked like Joe Dirt.
Is there anything anyone can say to me today to make me feel small? Absolutely not..I have had a full measure of love today. Is there any way I will be ungrateful today...absolutely not. Is there anyone who can wipe this smile off my face today? Absolutely not.....but hey..tomorrow is another day....I'll have to remind myself of this lesson learned..

13 comment(s):

:.)

By Blogger Clint, at 3:44 PM  

I am so glad you had such a great day. What an experience!

By Blogger Laurie, at 4:06 PM  

I love being with people who show me what heaven will really be like - no walls and immeasurable joy and love between all. You have been truly blessed!!!

By Blogger gracie, at 4:31 PM  

I think it's awesome that Sam and his buddies came to see it.

Was it held at ACU again this year?

By Blogger Scott, at 9:49 PM  

oh man I wish Max could have been there. me too, in fact.

By Blogger Candy, at 2:08 AM  

clint...:)

Laurie..it was an experience..

gracie..you are exactly right, no walls, and joy..and all the volunteers were smiling..we were in school..

scott..yeah it was cool that the boys went..they weren't quite sure what to do with it but they were smiling too.

Candy..you are going to do it with me next year!

By Blogger Beverly, at 10:25 AM  

Thanks for sharing this day, Bev. Events like this have a way of re-ordering my 'issues'.

Sam and his buddies would slap smiles on anyone's face, right? He is too kewl...

By Blogger Deb, at 3:55 PM  

amelia...it was a blast being with you...it was great!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:44 PM  

What is Grace? You find it in Eric.

By Blogger happytheman, at 5:13 AM  

yes indeed, Happy.

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:13 AM  

What a great story, Bev. Thanks for your kind heart and for sharing it with both the special olympians and us.

By Blogger Stacey, at 10:00 AM  

Bev, you just seem to have such a great heart! I'm so glad you helped with that, and I know the participants loved having you there.

I also liked the line about the guy that looked like Joe Dirt!

By Blogger Jeans, at 2:33 PM  

FW...where do you work?

Chris..thanks for stopping by,,bud..

Jeans..seriously this guy, "Joe Dirt" was hilarious..

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:32 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home