Tuesday, April 25, 2006

We went downstairs, past the barber and gymnasium and got our arms tattooed*

My friend had this picture on her facebook. (online MySpace for college students). I liked it. She is moving to Austin and I will miss her..

So....I am thinking about tattoos......
I have thought about getting one lately....
Should I or Should I not...
I have seen some really cool tattoos and I have seen some that left me asking, "What were you thinking?"

Okay, first let's talk about those who are the "tattoo artists." I mean, some of these people look like maybe there first experience with needles had nothing to do with ink on the skin..That will probably be the first obstacle for me...Then there's the permanence thing..
permanent condition: existence in the same form forever or for a very long time ```The Dictionary```

Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past. ~Jack London~
So, that's pretty cool..I like Jack London but that Call of the Wild was brutal..

Randomly posting....Hey..who has a tattoo...or wants a tattoo...or doesn't want a tattoo..or thinks those who get tattoos should get on a boat and move to an island filled with gothics and biker-punks (like Clint)...or thinks reading this blog was a royal waste of time....

*From "Tattoo" by The Who

16 comment(s):

this was not a waste of time at all. i want one. pain scares me. the permanance thing is a definite issue. i know exactly what mine would be. i know where i'd put it. my brother does tattoos. i think i trust him. i wonder if kate has designed our small group one yet. let's ask. AND i can't believe you fell for the whole Scott/song title guilt thing and have succumbed to the MAN.

By Blogger Candy, at 6:34 AM  

I want a tattoo! I'm still not sure though. I have thought about getting an igthus or a yellow rose. My roommate wants an outline of Texas somewhere. I think that might be cool. We have talked about going to get one together, but I don't know if I will actually get one. Let us know what you decide!

By Blogger Jeans, at 7:29 AM  

i do not have a tattoo. that was one thing that set me apart from my biker acquaintances. anyone who marks there body will go to hell. Jude 6:66

By Blogger Clint, at 7:46 AM  

Candy..can you imagine if we all went together..we would be laughing through the whole thing..

Jeans..I had thought of an igthus too..yellow rose..that is cute..

Clint..I actually went to biblegateway.com to look up Jude 6:66...you jerk..you're good.

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:06 AM  

HAHAHA - I like that Beverly looked it up, Clint!!!

Only tatoos I have are from dogs and bicycle crashes. They're not as artsy.

By Blogger Scott, at 11:59 AM  

Candy - that's two perfect citations in a row!

By Blogger Scott, at 12:00 PM  

don't

By Blogger Lucas, at 12:00 PM  

I had an itching for a tattoo last year but didn't give in. I can't stand the thought of the permanence or the continuous stabbing of the needles. But the appeal of all that color constantly on your skin... it's visually intoxicating.

If I got one, I'd get a really different looking and VERY colorful and VERY small butterfly. OR I'd get a dove. Where? Who knows... but it sounds like it would look cool anyway.

Oh and I haven't forgotton to email you about the thing in Dallas... I just don't know any more info yet!

Have a good one!

By Blogger rambouillet, at 1:14 PM  

Hey Beverly, I am not crazy about the idea of tatoos, for myself, that is, and if they are big and tacky looking, I don't like them on other people, either. I suppose I am non-commital, too--or something. My roommate in college got several while we were sharing an apartment; first one, then another, then another. I had the feeling it was like hair-color--quite the slippery slope :) When she came home with the one below her navel, near her hip bone (you know, the part of your body that a bikini bottom covers up), all I could think of was what that thing was going to do if she ever got pregnant. Of course, she has three little girls now, and I still wonder what her tatoo looks like. Ha! I always thought if I ever got one, I would get a butterfly somewhere or a string of flowers on my toe (like a permanent toe ring). I thought that would be cool, but I am pretty sure I would never really do it.

Hey, I hope this is not too much info, but what the heck--a few days before my husband came home from a long deployment, I put a fake tatoo in the same place as my roommate's, and he completely fell for it! He was astonished but didn't seem to mind :) I thought it was SO funny!

Interesting blog, Beverly!

By Blogger Laurie, at 2:06 PM  

I have a Tatoo..... He had to do something after Fantasy Island...

By Blogger happytheman, at 3:26 PM  

I work in Aged Care... believe me... wrinkled tattoos do not look good!! I feel sad for the young teen girls who have the large tat spread across their lower back.... that's one big regret coming up.

Still, a little rose somewhere might be cute???? I like those fake ones you can wash off after a few days...

By Blogger gracie, at 3:47 PM  

thegirl...good luck with the cereal dilemma...

Scott...yeah..laugh it up...

blondie..really?

Ram...aww a little dove..that sounds sweet..yeah, no prob..figured you would email when you have plans nailed down..we are hoping to come..just don't know yet..

laurie..hahahahhha great story..

happy..hmmm so that is where he went...hey, are you still in Abilene..?

Gracie..okay, gross..you bring an interesting tidbit to the table..

Lynette..you little wild girl..

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:16 PM  

nope, alas I left it early this morning.

By Blogger happytheman, at 6:00 PM  

Where's your tattoo Writer!?!?!!

By Blogger rambouillet, at 1:19 PM  

My mother always told me not to deface the perfect body that God gave me. So, I never did get one. And now that I am older, I can see her point.

There is my spiritual thought for the day!

By Blogger Shawna, at 6:12 PM  

Hi Bev,
I've been reading through some of your archives and thought I should respond to this story in particular. Last year I got my first tattoo. In fact, before I got it I had no tattoo's or piercings (not even my ears). It was painful but it was small so it was over pretty quick. I got it on my right shoulder on my back. Most of the time I forget it's even there, but I have yet to regret getting it.

As for tattoo artists- they are in a class of their own! I dated a tattoo artist in my early twenties. He looked so scary- he was covered with tattoo's and piercings. The funny part was that he was a total pacifist, vegetarian, and didn't drink or use any drugs. His shop was in an old doctors office and when you walked in it was very clean. It certainly didn't look like a tattoo parlor. I think that's the new trend, though. It makes it such a less scary experience when you know they clean their instruments in an autoclave, they work in a clean and well lit environment, and wear latex gloves.

If you are still thinking of getting a tattoo, I would suggest visiting a few tattoo parlors and talking to the artists. Find one you like and go there. The usually have a minimum price requirement and charge a set hourly fee. Good luck!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home