Sunday, February 25, 2007

Bless the beasts and the children*

Our children are watching us live, and what we ARE shouts louder than anything we say. Wilferd A Peterson














"Ms. Mann, I'm scared of the thunder."
"Ms. Mann, I don't like that word die."
"Ms. Mann, I said I was sorry."


When all this war began and I would go in to pray with Sam at night we would talk about the children of Iraq. We live near the airport and sometimes Dyess Air Force base uses the runway to practice landing and taking off. We sometimes hear fighter planes or B-52s flying over. Sam and I talked about what it must be like for the children in Iraq and the other children of the world to fall asleep afraid. They fall asleep to the sound of explosions or gunfire. I worry about them and my heart breaks for them. How I would love to be their teacher and hold them and read to them and provide a safe heart for them. Maybe one day when my babies are all set I will travel to another country and do this. I am not so naive to not know that we have children here in our own country who fall asleep to gunfire and hate and gangs and absence of a government helping them have a school room where the roof does not leak. When we went to Mexico on several mission trips we would sit in the building on the border filling out our paper work. It was always an emotional time for me as the children would come by with gum to sell and they would look so lost but when you would smile at them they always seemed to find a smile. I would sit there with the flies buzzing around me wiping my tears. My heart simply breaks for the children...all children who fall asleep at night to war be it a real war or an emotional war. God bless the children...

*From "Bless the Beasts and the Children" by The Carpenters

9 comment(s):

I had a passion for kids even before I had them... and I used to sing that song "There is none like you" over and over because it had the line "suffering children are safe in your arms..." and it was about the time the Rwanda genocide happened. I love your heart, bev....
would you send me an email with yr address so I can send you something for your class? (something nice of course)

By Blogger gracie, at 2:32 PM  

gracie..email me and I can tell you...bnicemann@hotmail.com...alright that would be cool!!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:39 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

By Blogger Cole, at 7:41 PM  

I know what you mean; I have seen poor, homeless kids who have nothing smile at me when we connected. They have hope.

By Blogger Cole, at 7:43 PM  

beverly thank you so much for dropping by my Stoned-Campbell blog. Your comment was so on target and I will indeed address the "problem" of "abuse from the pulpit."

I agree that there is a great need to not only love but sound as if we really do love. I have heard a preacher or two assure me that he did love me but I was not clear on it from listening to him.

Thanks for giving me a wonderful idea for a new post.

Hope to see you again around my blog.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

By Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple, at 7:08 AM  

cole..yep, hope..God gave us smiles and laughter and tears and when we share these with each other it is a holy moment.

Bobby..well, good grief Vonnie talks about you like your the best thing since sliced bread! and thank you, I have alot to share with those who are willing to hear about what was such a comfort in such dark times ..

By Blogger Beverly, at 10:09 AM  

Oh Beverly,

your heart is not RED, its GOLD!!!

I feel for all the kids too. soo much sad things...all kids should be in a HAPPY, SAFE FREE, LOVING ZONE!!!

By Blogger Dina, at 6:34 PM  

dina..I know you feel for all kids too and that's why I love you so much!!

ben..man, thank you. It has become a great surprise to me how some become untouchable to those who see it all in black and white. Your second paragraph warmed my heart. You go, Ben...preach that! Thanks for stopping by..

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:32 AM  

Bev, I love your heart...and any child who gets to be held and loved by you is blessed. Bless the children, indeed. You do.

By Blogger Katie, at 6:43 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home