Thursday, February 22, 2007

Starry, starry night, Paint your palette blue and gray, look out on a summer's day, with eyes that know the darkness in my soul*


Van Gogh on Facing a Blank Canvas: "Just slap anything on when you see a blank canvas staring you in the face like some imbecile. You don't know how paralyzing that is, that stare of a blank canvas is, which says to the painter, ‘You can't do a thing’. The canvas has an idiotic stare and mesmerizes some painters so much that they turn into idiots themselves. Many painters are afraid in front of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the real, passionate painter who dares and who has broken the spell of `you can't' once and for all.”
(Letter to Theo van Gogh, October 1884)

I took an Art class at ACU. We were to paint a landscape copying a picture we would find. We were to mix our own colors. I remember that I knew exactly what I was going to paint and had my brush loaded but just couldn't put my brush to the clean white art paper. My teacher strolled by and said, "Beverly, just start painting." I was afraid, but once I started painting it was like I was all alone in my experience. I loved it. My mamma framed my first painting and my teacher really liked it. I also did a sculpture of a fish. I loved that class which surprised me because of my fear of my lack of talent as an artist. I would like to paint again one day...maybe this summer.

Its scarey sometimes faced with a blank canvas..a new painting.. a new begining...I have had friends saying lately, "Beverly, just start painting." So...I think I will...

From "Vincent" by Don Mclean

6 comment(s):

one of my favorite songs off one of the most under appreciated albums. one of my favorite paintings next to yellow house. But isn't it about slapping some paint on the canvas and getting it everywhere.

By Blogger happytheman, at 7:57 AM  

happy..exactly!

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:48 AM  

OH WOW!!! I am just about to start art classes next week (long story, but its for free) and they are university level but I haven't done art since I was 14!!! And now I'm freaking out.... but of course you have said this so well and I am feeling encouraged. Now you know I will be thinking of YOU (and Van Gogh) when I'm standing in front of that blank thing...
((((((big hug))))))

By Blogger gracie, at 2:07 PM  

gracie...how exciting..!!! I want to hear all about it. Wow, you'll be thinking of me and Van Gogh..I'll be the one with TWO ears. I feel your hug all the way from Australia..thanks girl!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:36 AM  

Beverly,

I think thats cool that you faced a fear that ended up being a passion. I too have done that, was pleasently surprised at my happiness....unfortunatly I didn't stick with it...but like you, I guess we can pick it up anytime....

have fun!!

By Blogger Dina, at 10:04 AM  

Dina...I know fear can be a good indicator of a pathway to passion...you have fun too!!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:36 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home