Friday, January 26, 2007

*and castles made of sand


I love the playground...
Its digging in the dirt with precious little people who get excited when you dump the pail over and its a perfect mold and hence a perfect sand castle. We take turns using the blue shovel. Its cool to be out on the playground with other classes... You get to meet other kids. You sit down on a kid's level and you start hearing.."I'm Connor" or they just stand in front of you smiling. Some little girl on the jungle gym says, "Hey grownup, can you get this sticker off me?" "She called me a crybaby!" "Well" I say, "Are you a crybaby?" "No"..."then ignore her and don't worry about it." Another child who's sharing the shovel with me looks at me and says, "My friends call me a crybaby but sometimes I do cry when I get hurt." We continue digging and building until its time to line up and we sigh and drop our shovel and pail and look forward to our time together again.


*From "Fairytales Sandcastles" by Lifehouse

12 comment(s):

Hmmmmm - I'd have used "Digging In the Dirt" for the post title.

I love playing with kids in THEIR world - it's so much better than ours.

By Blogger Scott, at 4:20 PM  

Here is a similar conversation around here:

Anna (in tears): Madeline said my little tiger was a lion, and it's not.

Me: Is it really a tiger?

Anna: Yes (sniff, sniff)

Me: Then you know the truth. Don't bother with what isn't.

Anna: (a dignified nod)

This approach usually works. I said usually ;)

Yes, insight into a child's world is such a blessing.

By Blogger Laurie, at 9:30 PM  

Reminds me of Jesus writing in the sand, and asking "Where are your accusers?"

By Blogger gracie, at 11:01 PM  

scott.."Digging In the Dirt" would so not have worked..man, you losing your touch with songs?..ahhaha..I totally agree about the kids world and isn't that where Jesus said we should play more and get a clue?...

laurie..soooo precious..and you are right it USUALLY works..

gracie..absoulutely one of my favorite encounters in the Bible..so powerful it gives me chills..btw it was awesome to hear your voice today!

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:43 AM  

I'm not losing my touch - I have a very stalwart reputation for taking song lyrics out of context ;-)

By Blogger Scott, at 1:32 PM  

Just reading this post, the smell of sandbox sand filled my head. I wish I were that age again!

By Blogger Flake, at 11:11 AM  

I miss playing in the sand, well just playing in general. Life just creeps up on you and having fun for the sake of having fun seems to go out the window. We should all take the time to go out and play. As for me, I'm going out and building a snow fort just for the hell of it. Cheers.

By Blogger The Cube, at 7:49 PM  

hi mom.

By Blogger whitney, at 2:08 PM  

I finally met Whitney last night, at Sharky's of all places. She's beautiful.

By Blogger Cole, at 5:57 AM  

This takes me back to another place and time... My daughter was outside playing in her sandbox while her baby brother (Kyle) was taking his nap. She came to the back door, in the kitchen (she was 4)and announced, with her hands on her hips for effect, the she "was not playing in the sandbox anymore because the cow was too big!" OK, I thought... I glanced out the kitchen window to our backyard... and there WAS A COW standing smack-dab in the middle of her sandbox!! Don't ever doubt what children tell you... I was on the phone right away with the owner of the neighboring (farm) property!

By Blogger Mrs. Goodneedle, at 3:33 PM  

Hey, my last post it up if you are interested.

By Blogger Demosthenes, at 3:10 PM  

scott..stalwart?...umm...dictionary please...

kyle..awww..good memories in the dirt..

the cube..welcome and yes, we should take time to all go out and play!

whitney...hello my wonderful, beautiful, adorable Whitney!

Cole..so glad you got to meet her. she is beautiful but oh my goodness you should see her heart!!

mrs. goodneedle...that is hilarious!!!

demo..we will miss you!

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:16 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home