Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Hes my brother let us live in peace*


I think if Jesus were here today He would hang out at the Dollar Store.


I walk the aisles of the Dollar Store listening to the voices of real people. Big stories are told through interrupted coughs of maybe one too many cigarettes. The people I meet in the aisles smile at me and the only clue to their pain are their red eyes from too much crying or too much whiskey the night before. I stand in a long line. Those in front of me and those behind me talk of their excitement over what presents they have bought their loved ones. One lady, painfully thin, grazes over the brightly colored feathered pens littered in a box close to the cash register trying to find the perfect one for maybe her grandaughter. Something I find in this line, that I didn't find at the mall, was the stillness of their spirits the patience they are showing with only one cashier and a line as long as the Isrealites approaching the Red Sea.
The cashier's bottle out of box dyed hair falls down around her ears where old earring holes have grown over. She smiles at me as she gently puts my finds in a bright yellow bag. I walk out of this experience hungering for more. To be with these real people fighting for existence in a society that dictates their order in a line of power and worth.
I will go back and back again to be reminded that we are all brothers and all the same.
You should go today if you have never been. It must be a little Dollar General store usually nestled in a strip mall like a pearl in a clam. The big nice Dollar Stores don't have the same atmosphere.



*From "Border Song " by Bernie Taupin and Elton John

11 comment(s):

That's beautiful Bev. Most people would have written about how it took them FOREVER at the dollar store and the line was SOOOOO long!

Good for you for seeing the beauty in the madness.

By Blogger Lucas, at 9:50 AM  

My favorite is the one on Butternut. I've experienced exactly the same beauty there that you found. It seems like a smile goes a lot farther there, doesn't it?

By Blogger Candy, at 12:28 PM  

Yep - Blondie is right. It takes a really special heart to quiet the droning engine of American progress enough to see people for their value.

GREAT post.

By Blogger Scott, at 2:22 PM  

100 pennies for your thoughts

By Blogger Clint, at 8:26 PM  

Bev- I admit it!!! I go to our dollar store (price busters) ALL THE TIME!! It is a whole different atmosphere! but look around...all the things you could use but don't want to spend the $$ on is RIGHT THERE FOR 99 cents or $1.49...you'd be crazy NOT TO VISIT ONE!!!

By Blogger Dina, at 9:29 PM  

Ha. I know some people who are too good to even go to Walmart! :) They DO go to Target, but they half jokingly pronoune it french-like "Tar-zhe" to make themseves feel better. It's mostly in good fun, but I say only "mostly".

I don't have any dollar stores near by, but I do have a Walmart that is a 30 second walk from my front door and I go there for just about everything.

By Blogger Demosthenes, at 1:13 PM  

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=48111401

I think that's it.

By Blogger Demosthenes, at 11:29 AM  

My kids just love the dollar stores. And I know Jesus loves kids. If I'm supposed to become one to enter 'the kindgom'... perhaps its through a dollar store!! :)

By Blogger gracie, at 4:19 AM  

Dear fellow-blogger,

Hopefully, your 2007 is getting off to a fantastic start. My prayer is that you will be blessed by God with many opportunities for fruitful service in the Lord's kingdom in the new year.

I wanted to let you know that I've listed your blog on my blogroll at The Spiritual Oasis' web site. If you have additional blogs that you would like to see listed or would like to recommend others, please send word to:
contactus[at]thespiritualoasis.org.

To view The Spiritual Oasis' blogroll click the following link:

The Spiritual Oasis Blogroll

By Blogger Bill Williams, at 10:12 AM  

my boyfriend has gotten me hooked on the dollar store and big lots. why buy christmas giftbags and wrapping paper for $4.99 each at Target when you can get them for 59 cents at big lots?! cleaning supplies are way cheaper there, too.

and while i'm checking out, i'd rather chat with a low-income, chain-smoking, stressed-out mother than a teenager who ignores you to flirt with other employees at target. i figured out a long time ago that i am more comfortable around poor people than around rich people. i've grown up in the middle and worked with both sides... for all the hardships that come with being "poor," my experience has been that the poor folks tend to be nicer and more welcoming and they have more interesting lives. or at least a more thoughtful perspective on life.

patrons of dollar store-type places seem less in a hurry and employees seem more eager to help ya. last week i bought a new bedframe at big lots and the employee went out of his way to be helpful and chat while i waited. and this was late at night, at the end of this guy's shift, and big lots is his second job. (and by the way, he is derek jeter's cousin.)

By Blogger laura g, at 11:48 AM  

blondie...let's go shopping..

candy...yes, it does..

scott...good grief, somehow you make it sound so much deeper..you made me sound really good..hahha

clint..you never fail..very clever

dina...i know!

demo..wow..you back from the dead..thanks for stopping by..you made me laugh..

gracie..of course..makes sense! :)

bill..wow..im honored to be on your blogroll thanks..

miss laura G...hahhhaa..so funny...hey, i never go to Big Lots..and....little missy..tell me more about this boyfriend!

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:35 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home