Tuesday, January 23, 2007

thought you had all the answers to rest your heart upon but something happens*

I teach at a school in the middle of a neighborhood where many would not choose to frequent. The kids there are similar in that their lives are peppered with instability and alot of pain which you and I may never experience in our lives.There's a teacher at my school that I really love. He's a big ole guy who loves his class like his family. His class is filled with life and love and a rabbit that just hops around on its own around the classroom all day. I was hugging him on Monday morning after I heard that a little girl in his classroom had been shot in a drive-by shooting over the weekend. This little princess was four years old. He looked at me and said, "She was one who was going to make it. She had it in her to get out of the neighborhood." He spoke of questioning alot of things. Everytime I saw him on Monday his eyes were swimming with a sadness for a little girl who he felt had hope, a hope of breaking free of a hold that so many around her would be bound to all the rest of their lives.
I am thankful to be working where I am and as I go down the hall and tickle one little girl here or try to make a little boy laugh over there I just pray that we will all make a difference for these little soldiers who never enlisted in the war they face everyday.




From " In The Deep" by Bird York (from the movie Crash)

10 comment(s):

"...who never enlisted in the war they face everyday." Inspired piece of writing!

This kind of thing really does catch me in the emptiest part - no sense, no hope, no reason. Just lament.

By Blogger Scott, at 4:54 PM  

Makes me think of the new song "Alyssa Lies" By: Jason Michael Carroll

Not the same situation but just as sad/tragic.



You have been through more in just the short time I have known you than I have been in my entire life. I can't imagine how you find the strength you have. I look forward to meeting you one day.

By Blogger Flake, at 5:03 PM  

why is it ALWAYS THE INNOCENT?????
THAT MAKES MY HEART HURT....

By Blogger Dina, at 6:29 PM  

I've been praying for this family since Monday morning and won't stop. My heart is breaking for them.

By Blogger Lucas, at 8:23 PM  

Beverly, wow...your writing here is so powerful-- as is a teacher who loves and prays and mourns and keeps hoping for the ones who don't know how.

prayers continue.

By Blogger Laurie, at 9:31 PM  

You have written this so powerfully...

Scott's comment really resonates. The emptiness contrasts with the love you are so filled with.

By Blogger gracie, at 4:51 AM  

Bev, I'm so glad these kids have you and other teachers to love on them. But it hurts...oh, it hurts. Prayers continue, indeed.

By Blogger Katie, at 6:27 AM  

This is so sad. Keep hugging on that teacher and keep ticklin the little ones.

By Blogger Vonnie, at 9:26 PM  

I am sending love, I am holding you all up in prayer. I pray for peace, for clarity, for understanding where there is seemingly only senselessness; and for Christ's merciful love for this precious child's family.

By Blogger Mrs. Goodneedle, at 4:22 PM  

scott...yep no sense no hope no reason...

kyle...I can't wait to meet you, my good friend!

dina...i don't get it either..

blondie..heartbreaking for sure..

laurie..im trying with all that He gives me...

gracie..for you to say my writing is powerful is wow..well..wow..

katie...it really hurts..

vonnie...im there...love you girl

mrs. goodneedle...thank you..

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:39 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home