Tuesday, March 11, 2008

don't give up 'cos you have friends*


It was Calendar Time in my classroom. We were all gathered together watching the Calendar helpers navigate us through what month and what day it was. I held in my hand a bundle of numbered day cards to be placed in the little plastic pocket of our Calendar chart. These numbered days were out of order and I told my students that we must find the number 5 in this stack of cards. It seemed like an exhausting venture and I communicated my feelings to my students. We began the search and after a few cards a chant, started by Mya, quietly took shape on that carpet floor. As I flipped the cards my little sweet students cheered me on with a loud chant, "Don't give up" Although I knew I had laid on my suffering a little thick, I was pleased and empowered by these little voices. A scream echoed down our school's hall when I finally came upon the number 5. We all cheered and Mya said, "Let's applaud for Ms. Mann, guys!" I sat there not being able to wipe the smile off my face feeling a bit over appreciated for such a small task but to my friends, my little friends, it didn't matter. At that moment I knew that my room was a treasure box filled with precious jewels, some a little rough around the edges but precious.

*From "Don't Give Up" by Peter Gabriel

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home