Tuesday, December 19, 2006

While he lay in the hay shower him with love love love*

Its storytime and I explain to my students that many believe that Christmastime is the time of year when Jesus was born. I hold up the book I am going to read to them. We begin talking about the picture on the front. The front of the book shows baby Jesus, in the hay, surrounded by the animals. We like to predict what a story is about by looking at the picture on the cover. I ask the children, "Why do you think baby Jesus is in this stable surrounded by these animals?" Many have good ideas and I can't help but smile.

"Because Jesus likes cows!"

"Jesus likes horses!"

"He is from a farm!"

"Jesus likes cows and is going to the library."

As the story unfolds their eyes light up. I look out and Sabrina looks at me and points to heaven. She can't wipe the smile off her face...and neither can I.



*From "Christmas Song" by Dave Matthews

4 comment(s):

Ditto discom! Hope you feel rejuvenated by all that exceptional wisdom that surrounds you today, Bev.

By Blogger Candy, at 10:05 AM  

Sabrina was pointing to the PC monitoring cameras that have been secretly placed in your room to ensure you don't read books about the baby Jesus in the school room.

Happy Holidays ;-)

By Blogger Scott, at 5:09 PM  

discom..that absolutely counts..

candy...exceptional wisdom and God's arms around me all day long...

scott..very clever..and merry CHRISTMAS!

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:21 PM  

Cute.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:09 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home