Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I will remember you Will you remember me*

A really cute guy came up to talk to me on Sunday at church. Okay, he's six years old but he made my day. We had been "dismissed" and everyone was headed to class. I was talking with some friends when I looked down and there was Colin. Colin was my friend from Kindergarten where I did my Intern hours in Mrs. Reese's class. I had not seen him in several weeks and didn't remember that he went to Highland. So there he stood. I reached down and we embraced united by our experiences of the study of ladybugs, journal time and reading stories. One day I stayed in with him during recess as he finished his work and I think that's when we bonded. Colin had his Mom and sister in tow. His Mom introduced herself. She said that Colin said to her, "Mom, you don't know this lady but just follow me." After we talked for a bit I looked back down at Colin. He looked as if he had something very important to tell me. Then he made this great declaration, "I am going to be in First Grade." I hugged him again and said, "Yes, you are buddy."
I couldn't wipe the smile off my face..he was so proud..and so sweet..and he liked me...

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. You are the you who'll decide where to go" Dr.Suess.


*From "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan (Scott's girlfriend)

11 comment(s):

What the heck go to bed your up too early or you up to late.

Great story thanks for sharing and quit trying to win title of the week from Scott.

By Blogger happytheman, at 5:30 AM  

oh no..am I that transparent?

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:38 AM  

Oh my goodness, Candy, Jack Maxwell talked about his Jacob's Ladder bronze he is working on. You would not believe what they are constructing on campus. They will have like old roman kind of ruins with words like God and Faith etched into the stones. They are humongous and there will be a little pool to sit by and giant limestone to sit on and lay down on to look up at this giant sculpture of Jacob's ladder.
I went to class..you missed that..and sat with the adorable Katie!

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:24 AM  

"They will have like old roman kind of ruins with words like God and Faith etched into the stones."

you were like in college like to long.

it is not your intelligentsia (i hate to say it but you are gifted) that makes you a good teacher, it is your love.

By Blogger Clint, at 6:48 AM  

like, thanks clint..

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:50 AM  

I love kid stories

By Blogger Vonnie, at 11:31 AM  

vonnie, what grade did you teach?

By Blogger Beverly, at 2:18 PM  

Did you hear that, everybody??? Sarah remembers me. Isn't that sweeeet?

Kids are the best. Especially when they remember you - then they are REALLY the best.

By Blogger Scott, at 2:51 PM  

wait a minute, frog, who is Sarah..?

By Blogger Beverly, at 3:04 PM  

okay...I am an idiot today..I get it Scott..I got up way too early...

By Blogger Beverly, at 3:20 PM  

You are welcome Sage, and I absolutely love kids...!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:55 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home