Friday, May 26, 2006

We all must do the best we can and then hang on to that gospel plow*

Hey, Church of Christ people...Do you remember going forward...whatever happened to that?


Do you remember when the invitation song would be sung and people were invited to come forward for prayers? What happened to that? I loved it because it was a time when people would appear real in the church. Everyone else was dressed to the nines and one person would make their way to the front to tell the church that they were human and they needed help. I remember it always being an emotional moment for everyone..it touched on humanity and it was precious. Did you ever go forward? I did...I remember that feeling after the last song was sung then all the people came to hug me. My Mother went forward all the time..man, I think they didn't quite know what to do with such honesty. Maybe some think it old school but I love every opportunity to say we are united in our sin and united in His forgiveness...

*From "Rock Me On The Water" by Jackson Browne

9 comment(s):

Yes, I've gone forward for prayer. I agree ... it shouldn't be something that disappears!!

By Blogger Ava, at 9:17 PM  

Yes, I do remember. Of course, it's only been since last Sunday that I heard it, so it's not too far of a stretch!

I never have gone forward, though. I like hearing your thoughts on the honesty of it - though I do wonder if it's time to try another approach. I can not recall anyone going forward in a long, long time even with thrice weekly invitations.

By Blogger reJoyce, at 6:12 AM  

ava..I totally agree.

joyce..we don't have an invitation to go forward at our church anymore..I guess I was just assuming that is what was happening everywhere..

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:20 AM  

We always do that at Summer camp. I'm generally not awake anymore at that point in the service. Somehow our services at summer camp are always 3 hours long. This is no word of a lie. Even the most godly of people are snoozing by the end of it.

By Blogger Lucas, at 3:44 PM  

I have not run across others that don't do it, but I am sure there are some. My experience is mostly in smaller more traditional churches.

It *is* sad to see a practice that you love being left by the wayside as things change. I suppose though that the important thing is that people are supported by their church family in times of struggle - whether by going forward during an invitation song or by some other method.

By Blogger reJoyce, at 5:13 PM  

I always offer an invitation - but Joyce is right- it is an expectation of smaller churches. I offer it almost always in the language of conversion, rather than prayers from the church, but that's because I view the sermon as having a very specific purpose.

Now after last Wednesday night, a whole BUNCH of you alkie sinners better be coming on down when I give the altar call. I'll join you as soon as I am done ;-)

By Blogger Scott, at 6:15 PM  

blondie...3 hours long? phew...

joyce..true

scott...hey watch what cha sayin bout us boy!

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:52 PM  

Yesterday I made it a point to listen carefully to the invitation, to see what the preacher was inviting us to do. (I do tend to zone out a bit during that part and couldn't remember exactly what was being offered these days!) At the end of the sermon at both the AM and PM service, he invited us only to come forward and be baptized. There was no offer of coming forward for prayer, or to place membership (remember that one?).

Much to my amazement, though, after feeling like it's been forever since anyone came forward, a lady and her daughter came forward and asked for prayers.

By Blogger reJoyce, at 10:02 AM  

Joyce..hey, way to go..you woke up just to focus on the invitation..hmmm..that's interesting..a baptism invitation only...I always remembered the prayers needed invitation...that is amazing a visual for my point..

By Blogger Beverly, at 10:54 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home