Monday, May 29, 2006

Where have all the soldiers gone?*















I am ashamed to say that Memorial day, in the past, has been just another holiday for me. Its a three day weekend. But for some reason this year it means something more. Maybe because I feel like I have been fighting a little war of my own and somehow feel comradeship to those who fight against something big.

So today....

Today, I am sad for the young men and the young women who have died for me. Today I am sad for the mothers and fathers who opened the front door to the news of their loss. Today I am sad for brothers and sisters who miss their fallen brother at family reunions or at the foot of a christmas tree.

I am ignorant about war......I am ignorant....
I do not dare say today, on this Memorial Day, that I am against war in fear that some widow may hear my words..for..it is in her loss that I live....

Today I say thank you.....thank you.....thank you.....thank you.....thank you....thank you...........


*From "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?" by Pete Seeger

11 comment(s):

me too - thank you

By Blogger Candy, at 7:20 AM  

freedom is never free, in this world or the next. thanks for the greatest gift of all.

By Blogger Clint, at 7:26 AM  

That's right Clint..

sage..welcome..I only scratched the surface..

Paul...welcome too!..thanks for the amen...I like those.

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:05 PM  

Beverly,

Bless you! What heartfelt expression of your feelings of this volatile subject. Thank you!!

By Blogger Kathy, at 4:49 PM  

I've been thinking of going to PH for the memorial day festivities for over a week (inside joke).

Seriously, what a humbling experience to enjoy the freedom and liberty that has come at such horrible sacrifice.

By Blogger Scott, at 5:45 PM  

PAT..I am so sorry I called you Paul..

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:07 PM  

kathy...did you go to Paul Lakey's class on Sunday..?

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:16 PM  

Thank you, Bev. This is so very, very true.

By Blogger Jeans, at 7:37 AM  

Yes so very true, though you may be surprised to find that an anti-war statement might sit better with those widows than you think. Besides, being a person of peace does not have to be diametricly opposed to supporting the troops. But I appreciate and admire your discretion nonetheless.

By Blogger Demosthenes, at 9:30 AM  

demo..you make a good point but yeah..just in case...

By Blogger Beverly, at 10:23 AM  

jeans....oh dear we need to get together!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 10:46 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home