Monday, June 19, 2006

I'm takin' my time So please don't rush me*

so...Austin was amazing. It was a great get away! Gettting away is easy....Coming back is hard..
I got to go hear some really good music...
I got to walk around Town Lake. This was an interesting walk. It was beautiful. The trees were so pretty and the water was this really beautiful green. (Why is it green, anybody know?)
Lots of interesting people passed me by...I tried very hard not to stare. The weirdest was when a whole group of people on those "it" things passed by in single file. I almost fell down looking back. You know those "it" things that you stand on and somehow make it go.
I met a friend for breakfast at a really cool cafe. Our waitress was deaf. She got our order by reading our lips..pretty cool. I know a little bit of sign language so I signed thank you. Only problem is that now she thinks I sign and so everytime she comes back to the table she is looking at me and signing. I just smiled and nodded alot. Hope I nodded at the appropriate times. When I have gone to different countries I have gotten in trouble this way. I think it will be really clever to learn a few words of the language (Portuguese, Spanish or Thai) and then I speak to the people of that country and then they start rattling off stuff like I know what they are saying..then like an idiot, I shrug my shoulders and they think that's really funny.. but hey, you make alot of friends that way.
Hey, guys, let me warn you....there is traffic in Austin! holy turn signal!....had a few close calls..but now..I could get you around Austin pretty good..I think!


*From "Takin My Time" by Bonnie Raitt

12 comment(s):

That it would be a "Segway" Bob.

Hopefully you left Austin as pretty as you found it?

By Blogger happytheman, at 11:06 AM  

hahaha..yes absolutely!

By Blogger Beverly, at 11:23 AM  

Austin is a great place ... lots of music, scenery, sites ...

Glad you had a great time.

Ava

By Blogger Ava, at 11:30 AM  

Darn it happy... It was like a riddle to me, I figured it out and you beat me to it...

By Blogger Flake, at 12:40 PM  

i'm glad you had a great time down there. you deserved it.

By Blogger Candy, at 1:07 PM  

I LOVES me some Austin.

I am TOTALLY on board with the panic of a limited ability in another language. I always feel like holding up my hands, as if to say, "Whooooooaaaa nellie - that was all I knew!"

By Blogger Scott, at 1:30 PM  

John and I want to go to Austin for a few days when we come over this Fall.

Can you recommend some really great Mexican restaurants and places to go shopping? Also, where are some of the neat live music hangouts?

John loves Tejas, and we've been saving the best (Austin!) for last. I'm daring him to bring his Stetson (a big deal for this Brit). But he loves his boots. :)

Glad you had a great time ... that gal who served you will no doubt EVER forget you!

By Blogger Deb, at 2:18 PM  

Minerals from the limestone

By Blogger Clint, at 4:44 PM  

ava...i did!!

kyle..okay..shhh..don't tell Happy but I don't get it..you can tell me later or on MySpace..

sage..algae..okay..

candy..yes i did!

deb..i don't know of good places but there's people in our circle who could!

clint..maybe so..

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:48 PM  

Glad you had a good time. I love Austin, but don't go often enough.

By Blogger Martini, at 7:24 AM  

I'm with Scott...it's total panic when you reach the end of your knowledge in a certain language with a native speaker. I always feel like yelling, "Somebody help! That's all I know!"

Glad you had a great time, Bev. Do you still want to borrow Through Painted Deserts? You can if you want...

By Blogger Katie, at 8:17 AM  

you gotta love austin. if I had a choice of a place to move to, it would be Austin.

By Blogger Frustrated Writer, at 1:57 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home