Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I was base...

I am standing in the middle of the play area watching my class experience the outside. Our morning schedule involves classroom time all morning. I have just started taking them out after lunch to have this playtime before rest time and they love it.
"Ms. Mann, you are base", they tell me as they hang on to my legs and arms and come at me hitting me at full speed.
I just stood there as they laughed around me and thought how cool and how humbling it is to be base. Base is a safe place where noone gets to tag you out. While you are on base you are safe.
All this made me think about the friends who have been base to me in these last few months and most especially these last two weeks. You see when you are base you really don't have to do anything you just stand there and listen and provide a safe place for others to go. Most times people who have been base don't even realize they were.
When we were at our friend's house for Thanksgiving the father took Sam out and played with him nonstop. They played football, we played baseball and then he took me and Whitney and the boys to play Disc Golf at Zilknor Park. Sam had the best time with this man. This man chose to take the time to just be with Sam. He was base. I will never forget the college boys and this man who have taken Sam in and just played video games with him or thrown a football. They have been base for him and I will forever be grateful.
Don't miss an opportunity to be base...I think that what Jesus calls us to do in bearing one another's burdens. I know I will be watching for those opportunities more than I ever have before.
Peace..

7 comment(s):

My best friend in the world suffered a sudden trauma in her life a couple weeks ago. I asked her if she wanted to go for coffee two evenings after it happened, and she cancelled her plans, telling the other person, "Look, I just need to be with Blondie right now, I need her" and I nearly broke down. I was base, and I hadn't even known I was going to be.

I'm glad everyone has someone in their life who is base (we always called it "home base"). The people I work with come to our shelter sometimes because WE are their safe refuge, physically and in every other way, and we're the only ones willing to be such. It's always an experience when someone chooses you as base.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:53 AM  

Sam has the biggest baseball field in his own backyard and his "bases" are scattered all over God's country far and wide - through sun, sea and snow.

He's the luckiest boy in the world.

Luv
Jer.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 AM  

"Once in a while I return to the fold, to the people I call my own" (From "Won't Give In" by the Finn Brothers)

Having "base" is such a precious gift. Being "base" is a remarkable honor.

By Blogger Scott, at 10:36 AM  

Great post. The comments here are particularly insightful--I agree that a base is a most "precious gift" and being chosen as one is the greatest honor. Likewsie, the idea that in both lies the "greatest expression of love" is so, so true, I think.

I, too, want to be more mindful of both.

By Blogger Laurie, at 11:51 AM  

Good one Bev.

By Blogger Candy, at 1:19 PM  

blondie..I am so glad you were there for her..

jeremy..you are right..so many love Sam the Mann.

chad..I am so glad you are in those kid's lives. I am begining to see more than ever what that means not only to the kid but to the parent!

scott..and being both is mind blowing..

Laurie..yep, Scott expressed it beautifully.."an honor."

Candy..thanks..

By Blogger Beverly, at 3:52 PM  

Beverly- that is just the Holy Spirit...to hear one word and to "see" soo much in ONE WORD. BASE. Thoughts or remarks that seem so profound are so SIMPLE! I love this post.

Thanks!

By Blogger Dina, at 4:02 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home