Sunday, December 03, 2006

And so it is christmas*

I'm standing in Target looking for a cheap artificial tree and I find a 6 footer for $16.99. I have never had an artificial tree but somehow this year it makes sense. Filled with emotion, but my sanity kept in check by a good friend on my phone telling me its going to be a great christmas, I found the tree I needed. You know who you are and I will never forget you sticking with me as I shopped for my new christmas tree.
I was telling Blondie today about our family Christmas party last night. I stood and watched all that was going on around me. There were two college guys in my kitchen stirring queso and putting my dishes in the dishwasher. Whitney, Sam and others in the living room playing a game. We all took pics which I'll post later of all of us in front of our new tree! We kept cracking up because the tree is so small that its behind us but you can't see it. As I watched all this I thought about this living room a few weeks ago littered by evil and now filled with love, christmas music, wonderful people and yes, a beautiful tree and my baies...safe.
It was good to fill that living room with some good vibes.

"Isn't there anyone out there who can tell me what Christmas is all about? " Charlie Brown

Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you. Lights, please.

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the lord shone round about them, and they were so afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not, for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you this day is born in the City of Bethlehem, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; you shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel, a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace, good will toward men'". That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie brown.



*From "Happy Christmas" by John Lennon

18 comment(s):

Dude, you were ALSO telling Blondie that you got a "small" tree!!! I think ours is 6 feet and not very small for a Christmas tree! How tall is your ceiling?!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM  

9 ft..its 6 ft. but its scrawny..hahaha..Dude!

By Blogger Beverly, at 3:49 PM  

beverly...i cant wait to see the family photos..i LOVE to see a "family" photo, no matter how many are in that photo..2,5 22...we don't realize how much each person means to us while were just "taking a picture" and saying "cheese", until you look at that picture later!!

By Blogger Dina, at 4:57 PM  

Dude, I love that CB special.

Dude, our tree is a fake 6 footer. The kids didn't care in the least! Nor do I, for it's the reason for our holiday that we concentrate on.... ok, enough of that out of me.

By Blogger Shawna, at 6:01 PM  

dina..i know what you mean..I love them too and I will put them up as soon as Whit sends them to me!! I love looking at your pics!

plankton..I know, you are exactly right and I think this season will be a holiday we will never forget...

By Blogger Beverly, at 7:54 PM  

Well, I didn't get my tree up today. When I was growing up we put up out real tree one week before Christmas and kept it up until New Years. Now we have no tradition. Goes up when it goes up, comes down whenever. Sounds like you had a good party.

By Blogger Vonnie, at 8:27 PM  

"As I watched all this I thought about this living room a few weeks ago littered by evil and now filled with love, christmas music, wonderful people and yes, a beautiful tree and my baies...safe."

That's called victory...

By Blogger Jim V, at 5:20 AM  

Mine's 8.5

By Blogger Scott, at 12:59 PM  

vonnie...hahahahah

jim...victory that's right!!

scott..well...I have tree envy!

By Blogger Beverly, at 1:21 PM  

Who's talking about trees???

By Blogger Scott, at 1:24 PM  

Scott..I think I just heard the sound of your office being locked after your dismissal..

By Blogger Beverly, at 1:25 PM  

Thank God for friends who will stick with you and walk you through.

Your spirit is an inspiration to me, Beverly. Just wanted you to know that.

By Blogger Laurie, at 5:14 PM  

HAAAAAAAAAAA! BEV! Comment of the YEAR!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:54 PM  

Pretty sure it's "and so this is Christmas" instead of "it."

By Blogger Cole, at 9:21 PM  

Cole..im gonna fail aren't I?...you are right!

By Blogger Beverly, at 10:51 PM  

Linus' speech ranks as one of the best moments from Christmas shows. Chas. Schultz hit a homerun with that one.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 AM  

laurie..man, that is really a nice thing to say. I am loving knowing you...and the friend that was on the phone with me is light!

Blondie..thank you, thank you very much...

frustrated..its my favorite moment out of all christmas movies..well, that and when the Grinch's heart grew and grew...

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:44 AM  

The Charlie Brown special is my favorite, too! Way to go, Bev, for celebrating anyway. I love you girl!

By Blogger Katie, at 1:42 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home