Saturday, February 18, 2006


Okay...Will someone explain those letters you have to type in to post on someone's blog? I don't get it. Like, if you weren't really suppose to be blogging you wouldn't be able to type in the exact letters? Then, they like make them all crookedy so it would make it more diffcult, so as to deter you from posting..I don't know..I don't get it..is it something we have bought into without questioning...?

6 comment(s):

ok, beverly, the deal with the letters is that at one point the spammers caught on that they could leave comments on blogs as they were posted. So, you'd get these long, drawn out commercial comments on your blog. Blogspot developed this method to fool them. They would have to type in the letters in order to post the comment and since the ads were computer generated they weren't able to do so. Voila! We thwarted their evil scheme to commercialize our blogs! I'm all over it.

By Blogger Candy, at 2:51 PM  

thanks..one question answered, a bizillion to go..

By Blogger Beverly, at 3:21 PM  

Either that or they are anti-dyslexia.

By Blogger Clint, at 4:11 PM  

Well, I used to use it, but I can barely type as it is, so I figured it's just easier to delete the spam (though the spam used to be a lot worse, too).

The reason they are so squiggly has to do with the foiling of recognition software. There's no predictability in how they look or what font is used (etc.), so no one could write a script to overcome them.

But 23 letters? That seems a bit extreme ;-)

By Blogger Scott, at 5:43 PM  

Some people leave word verification (wf) off 'cause they love getting email from spammers.

My record is mistpying the wf four times. I finally just moved on to another blog.

By Blogger Brady, at 1:26 PM  

I agree with you on the letter thing- I am always confussed by that:)!

By Blogger Chelsie Sargent, at 2:47 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home