Tuesday, March 07, 2006


It was journaling time in Mrs. Reese's Kindergarten class. I snuggled close to Kelsie watching her draw her picture in her journal. I had spent the last few weeks interning in this class. She drew a picture of herself, methodically coloring her skin the appropriate brown color. I watched as she drew me with her and the flowers. She held her arm next to mine and asked, "What color are you?" I looked down at my skin and said, "Well, I am kinda pink." She looked deeply into my eyes, smiled, picked up her brown crayon and whispered, "I am going to color you brown." I felt so honored that Kelsie welcomed me into her world. What she was saying, I think, was that we are the same color.

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14

Lord, help me to be like Kelsie.

8 comment(s):

I want to be exactly like Kelsie. Lord, help me, too.

By Blogger Candy, at 8:06 PM  

Holy SMOKE - I think I'm gonna cry. Crap! I am!

Great story. Great post.

Now how am I gonna keep up this apparent reputation of surly sarcastedness (zat a word?) if you keep posting junk like this???

;-)

By Blogger Scott, at 12:20 AM  

same thing happen to me once. No wait, that was not me, that was you. Well color me red.

By Blogger Clint, at 7:02 AM  

TOTALLY excellent comment on Mike's blog today, Beverly!

(I love your Crayola illustration. Kelsie in why Jesus loves little children so much. And it is even more amazing that He could possibly love us big children, even after we forget the beauty of all the different hues in the crayon box. By the way, people of colour used to ask me why my skin was so transparent and see-through. It would have been more interesting if they would have assigned me at least one color!)

By Blogger Deb, at 9:10 AM  

candy..yes..

Scott..I think you'll manage.:)

lynette...yes..

clint..I spend most of my life colored red with my foot in my mouth.

deb..yeah..let's hear it for the big kids.

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:36 PM  

One of my students, who is VERY blonde and VERY pale, said that when she moved to a predominantly Hispanic junior high school, her peers told her she looked like she glowed in the dark. It must have seemed that way to them, although related in typically tactless junior-high talk.

By Blogger English Professor, at 5:54 PM  

Beverly - I just wanted to say I am VERY excited about the white pelicans. They sound amazing. I wish I'd been there to see them with you. I'm glad you got that gift today.

By Blogger Candy, at 7:15 PM  

aww..yes,you have but I love hearing it...

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:53 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home