Tuesday, March 07, 2006


“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers." William Shakespear
...........
This is my brother Mark. His name is adventure. He looks for it everywhere. He is my hero. He was there when my father wasn't. He bought me a 10 speed bike with the money he recieved from Kentucky Fried Chicken because he got enfentigo (sp?), when he was in high school working there. True story...
He was a great football player at Spring Branch High School but quit to help my mother pay the bills. I have great memories with my brother. There was this time I helped him move to California, to teach in Fresno. We were crossing the Mojave desert in, yes, a volkswagon van. I drove as Mark struggled to learn House of the Rising Sun, on his guitar. He became a missionary in Thailand. I went to visit him and he took me on lots of adventures. We swam in the gulf of Siam, snorkled at Kohn Phi Phi Island (where Leonardo de Caprio filmed The Beach), we hiked one day and happened up on a Temple, carved into the rock, with a floor of alabaster marble and priests in bright orange attire. He got me to jump off the top deck of a boat into a scarey dark ocean. It seems there is nothing I wouldn't do, this side of legality, with him just saying, "Come on Bev, you can do this!" Noone else in my life has ever or will ever be able to have that calling to my heart. Mark and I survived something and continue to survive the repercussions of that something, but with my brother in my life I feel stronger.

6 comment(s):

Well, Bev, this post absolutely pulls on my heart, and stimulates the ol' rusty memory bank. What fun memories I have of you, Mark, Sharon, and Polly. Whatever you went through, I knew God had transported you through a tunnel of light, because I always felt (and feel) His love raditiating from all of you. And the smiles and all that belly laughing!!

Thanks for this wonderful pic of Mark. Where is it taken and what's the story behind it (I know there's a great one!)?

Love you!

By Blogger Deb, at 8:28 AM  

radi-tiating: a radi-cal form of radiating! :0

By Blogger Deb, at 8:31 AM  

Deb..this is Mark in Hong Kong hiking down a waterfall..

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:44 AM  

What a beautiful post, Beverly.

By Blogger Laurie, at 9:28 AM  

Well, now I'M a fan of his too. Great post!

By Blogger Scott, at 11:53 AM  

Great guy that Mark. And you, my friend, are a great gal.

By Blogger Candy, at 2:45 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home