Saturday, April 29, 2006

You know I think it's time to give this game a ride*


I was thinking about people in my life who watched my back when I was too clueless to head in the right direction. The Montgomery Rebels AA baseball team came to mind. I was living in an aparment complex in Montgomery, Alabama. I was in High School. The Montgomery Rebels lived in our complex and we soon became friends. They taught me how to play pool..they let me play water volleyball with them...I never knew they cared for me until one of them brought up this girl in the complex. Her name was Swan. Okay, big red flag there. She was wild and crazy and that got my attention. I remember snorting Koolaid with her once. She heard it would make you high. All it did was make you blow purple stuff out of your nose for days..We were two girls who were surviving on our own. I don't know where her Mom was. My parents were divorced and my sweet mom was working all the time to make ends meet. Anyway those guys didn't like me hanging out with Swan. I took note and quit. Thank you Montgomery Rebels..Oh then there was the guy who cleaned the pool. He had long blonde hair and an earring. I loved hanging out with him. He always played this song on the guitar( yeah, did I mention he played guitar) for me. The song was Suzanne (all I remember was Suzanne takes me down to a place by the river)..Well, he wanted me to run away to Colorado with him..I broke up with my boyfriend and the guy disappeared. Thank you, Lord. Phew...
I loved going to Patterson Field to watch my buddies play..I wish I could tell them thank you...

*From Center Field by John Fogerty

10 comment(s):

Nice to have people watching your back.

By Blogger Scott, at 6:05 PM  

You had me at Suzanne by Leonard Cohen. Those were good people as I just spent the last hour with a bunch of baseball junkies.

By Blogger happytheman, at 8:47 PM  

Is that it? Oh my goodness Happy, do you remember that song? I am going to look it up..thanks..

Yes, Scott, its way nice having people watching your back..you don't know how much I appreciate it..(if you know what I mean..nudge nudge..is your wife a sport?..was that monte python or SNL?)

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:56 PM  

some people just never grow up

By Blogger Clint, at 9:43 PM  

clint..I can't believe you didn't have this song downloaded and linked..Its Suzanne by Leonard Cohen..

grow up?..who are referring to...

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:46 PM  

Oh, put me in, Coach ~ I'm ready to play today!

By Blogger Clint, at 9:06 AM  

oh how i've missed you guys! but i'm home and have internet service again!! hallelujah! i loved coming home to this baseball post. last night max's team started their second game at 9:23 p.m. and finished playing at 12:04 a.m. - a disappointing loss that sent us home today. it was a close one though. they were tied and went three extra innings. i'm typing this as i listen to clint's song by john fogerty. i love that we have musical accompaniment these days. keep it up clint!! at 7:30 we'll be back at the ballpark here in town to make up a game (different team) that got rained out. come join us!

By Blogger Candy, at 1:55 PM  

oh man..I have a math study group..I missed you Candy!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 2:16 PM  

Oh, that was Monte Python!!!

"saynomore, eh?"

By Blogger Scott, at 8:16 PM  

Right..Scott..saynomore!!

amelia..I'll miss you too..girl..I am begining to get sad about leaving all my little buddies.

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:00 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home