Monday, May 08, 2006

If your broken heart should need repair*







If my day couldn't get any more complicated...my car wouldn't start. Panic..anyone who has a middle schooler knows a car is a must..its like beyond a need..My steering wheel column was locked and the key wouldn't turn at all. This actually happened last summer and I got online and figured out a way to fix it..but, my mind being a bit unfocused..I couldn't remember what I did. I went back out and turned the wheel and messed with it some more. Then I thought I remembered detaching the battery cables and then reattacing them so I opened the hood and it just was too overwhelming. I went back in searching the Internet for any ideas..and...I found one. The car owner explained that it really seemed too ridiculous to work but it did for her...well, hey at this point it was worth a try. I needed my key and a hammer. I went out to the tools and couldn't find a hammer but found a really long heavy bolt thingy. I went out to my car and did as she said.."Put the key in the ignition and as you turn the key hit the other end of the key with the hammer." Boom..Bam...the key turned and the car started!!! As if perfect timing, Sam calls, "Mom, can you come pick me up?"...haha..yes, Sam, yes, I can!!! ...as I left the house I grabbed the long bolt thingy and put it in my purse....just in case..

*From "Handyman" by James Taylor

27 comment(s):

ok, may i simply say once again that you amaze and astound me. thinking of the internet at a time like that is ingenius. remember you can always call a friend. i could have picked sam up for you but i wouldn't have known how to fix that car thingy. i missed you last night. i prayed for you.

By Blogger Candy, at 4:11 AM  

Candy...Information Highway..I depend on it alot..I guess being a student has caused me to wear a path to the Internet..

thanks for your prayers..did max tell you we watched this midget (little people) show together.. oh my word..I love that midget family..somehow being with those two boys was just what i needed..they are so precious..

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:37 AM  

Wow Bev, you are one clever girl!!! I bet you'd be great on Survivor!

By Blogger gracie, at 5:40 AM  

This actually happens to me all the time. For me, it is a problem with my steering column. I just take my fist and pount the wheel dowward a few times. If that doesn't work then I try to jam it upward a bit. Either way, it always works!

By Blogger Demosthenes, at 9:50 AM  

Oh and also to fix it, you might consider getting a new copy made of your key. It might be getting worn down. And thus we have reached the end of Demo's auto-knowledge.

By Blogger Demosthenes, at 9:51 AM  

gracie..umm...survivor..no..bugs snakes..

chad..man..that feels so good doesn't it!!

amelia..love you too

demo..i just can't get over you coming to visit..I am so pleased..good idea about the extra key..very wise..

By Blogger Beverly, at 10:36 AM  

Let me see my dad would cuss at it hit it and then drink a beer and then cuss at it, then it would start.

but you can't do that.

Will just have to call you Miss McGyver

By Blogger happytheman, at 2:44 PM  

happy.."Miss McGyver"..i like it..

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:16 PM  

"Miss McGyver", is happy a prophet?

By Blogger Clint, at 5:22 PM  

Yeah, Beverly. I love this story! It reminds me of the time that I locked my keys in the car with my 18 month old daughter inside --a super hot car on a super hot day in Corpus Christi. My other 2 1/2 year old daughter was running around outside, and I was running around like a crazy person trying to make sure she did not get into anything and trying to figure out what I could do. I could not get inside my house b/c I had just locked up, my cell phone was in the locked car with my daughter-- I was hysterical. I finally went to a neighbor's house and asked to borrow her phone, and I called 911. I have friends who still make fun of me for that, but hey, I still stand my ground that my daughter could have passed out from the heat while waiting for a locksmith. But, as it turned out, I realized that I let my daughter play with an extra key set just that morning b/c I was trying to have a phone conversation(something I typically never would have let her play with had I not been desperate for some peace) and wouldn't you know that once I calmed down, I saw that the extra keys had been left outside! No need for the rescue effort after all!

Anyway....way to keep your cool and research your way out of that one!

By Blogger Laurie, at 5:22 PM  

clint..what are you talking about..? prophet?

laurie..no seriously where my kids are concerned I wouldn't be so calm..bless your little heart..oh man...

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:36 PM  

Very impressive save, Beverly! I used to drive an old Chevy Nova that required jamming a screwdriver in the carborateur (sp)every time you started it, but that became routine--you did some quick thinking on the fly here.

By Blogger English Professor, at 8:16 PM  

Just don't do any flying and forget that you have that long bolt in your purse. I just looked at the title of this post and had to do a double take. Bring that bolt over here and use it on my heart.

By Blogger Lucas, at 9:46 PM  

I can fix it - I just replaced the ignition in my blue whale just two weeks ago (and I have trouble changing the lead in my mechanical pencil). Too bad I'm not there.

But it sounds like you've got things covered with the bolt thingy.

By Blogger Scott, at 11:39 PM  

Awesome, Bev! A classic for Household Hints from Heloise (via Louise, the Car Chick!).

That one is going down in my fix-it book ... thanks!

Gee, I was thinking 'Miz MacGuyver' before I read Happy's comments.

By Blogger Deb, at 3:57 AM  

I'm lost. Fill me in on the Miss McGyver bit. I want to know why Happy is a prophet too.

By Blogger Candy, at 4:35 AM  

EP...hahaha..i remember chevy novas..was it blue?

blondie..hahaha..that would be awkward at the airport..
is your heart broken cutie pie?

scott..blue whale..what is that?
i can change the lead in your pencil too..:)

deb..hmmm...glad to be of help..i may just write my own book.."101 things to do with a bolt thingy."

candy...i don't get the prophet thing either...???

clint...you are going to have to explain..

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:16 AM  

Beverly - the blue whale is my sweet minivan. It gives me TOTAL local cred, because it looks like something only a guy living in a beach-shack would drive. So all the locals wave "shaka" when they see me driving by at the beach.

By Blogger Scott, at 11:36 AM  

clint i'm only 20% prophet.

By Blogger happytheman, at 12:19 PM  

okay..clint and happy..you guys are going to have to come clean on what a prophet has to do with Miss McGyver...?

By Blogger Beverly, at 12:36 PM  

If you want clean go to scott's website.

By Blogger happytheman, at 1:33 PM  

Happy!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 1:45 PM  

happy, is that what you call it these days

By Blogger Clint, at 5:03 PM  

haahah..clint..i get it...

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:29 PM  

Well, now that you've brought me into this, I'll just say I am as cornfused as they come. Somebody's got some 'slpainin' to do!

By Blogger Scott, at 8:21 PM  

Well, now that you've brought me into this, I'll just say I am as cornfused as they come. Somebody's got some 'slpainin' to do!

By Blogger Scott, at 8:21 PM  

Scott, i only get part of it...not that prophet part...just the other word for happy..not happytheman..just happy..that's what the 20% is..it rhymes with ray..
now the prophet thing i don't get but i can imagine clint over there in front of his computer laughing it up...

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:33 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home