Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Sail on, look for me I'm floating*

Well...not to be out done by that preacher boy.......
Scott's post today reminded me of an incredible experience I had with my brother in Thailand out on the Sea of Siam....
We are out on an old boat with two Thai fishermen...its been an amazing day of adventures and now they have thrown out the anchor to cook the little fish my Mom caught. She was the only one to catch a fish that day. The water cradling the boat is beautiful. The two men are hunched over the little hibachi cooking that fish likes its Thanksgiving turkey. All of a sudden, my brother grabs some bread and says, "Come on Bev" and jumps off the side of the boat. I follow..like an idiot I will follow that boy anywhere... Mark has disappeared under the water and I go under to find him. There he is..holding the bread in his hand as the most beautiful fish I have ever seen, meet at his hand for lunch. He is smiling and hands me a piece of bread. Some come over to me and I am so excited. I am saying to myself, as in all my adventures in Thailand, take this in..this is a memory...you have no underwater camera..these are the pictures I see...beautiful water...beautiful colorful fish and my brother smiling...
We get back up on the boat and Thanksgiving dinner is ready. We sit around and eat that tiny little fish as if it was caviar and the most wonderful thing is that on this old broken down boat, on the Sea of Siam in Thailand, they have Ketchup!!! Can this day get any better!!!


*From "Under The Sea" by Nomeansno

15 comment(s):

This is a great story! How cool that you've been to Thailand!

By Blogger Jeans, at 7:44 AM  

Hmmmm ... I know there is a parable just under the wwater's surface here: One Little Fishy and a Hunk of Bread ...

That all five of you feasted on one little roasted fishy AFTER you and Mark went to feed some and didn't add them to the roast dinner is a classic!

The Lord sustains us on feasts in different and meaningful ways. Thanks for this wonderful vignette, Bev! Your story-telling is much more poignant than the picture of the day's event. Am so glad your mind is such a vivid shutterbug! :)

(Isn't it amazing how ketchup can turn up in the weirdest corners of the world? Even Heinz, my fave! God knows.)

You're in my thoughts and prayers!

By Blogger Deb, at 9:13 AM  

Hey you've all made me want to post a picture I took so I'm gonna.

By Blogger happytheman, at 9:17 AM  

Nope, I'm not even going to pretend not to be jealous

By Blogger Lucas, at 9:35 AM  

Ummmmm, you win - that's awesome.

By Blogger Scott, at 10:24 AM  

lynette..i have so many sweet memories from thailand..

jeans..so cool..twice

deb..hmm good point..some gourmet cooks have been very frustrated with my ketchup obsession..like that duck my uncle cooked for thanksgiving..i asked for ketchup and you would have thought i had said his mother was stupid..good grief..then i ordered my steak well done and he whispered to the waiter..to this day i think he told him to burn it ...but my pride made me eat it anyway..

happy..yay..i want to see pics..i love it when texans say "I'm gonna"..so cool..

Blondie...hold on miss canada, miss i just was on a houseboat on vacation..i'm stinkin jealous..

scott..that's all i wanted was to be in the win column..:)


BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!! I GOT MY JUGGLING GRADE TODAY..I JUGGLED!!!!
AMELIA..DID YOU HEAR THAT..I DID IT!!!

By Blogger Beverly, at 11:00 AM  

Uh, I not from Texas I have only been here 16 years please refrain from calling me a Texan. I am and will always be from California. No smart remark here Clint.

By Blogger happytheman, at 2:02 PM  

oops sorry happy...sorry you can't claim texas..:)
actually..I am from alabama and florida!! I was adopted by texas

By Blogger Beverly, at 2:59 PM  

whatever

By Blogger Clint, at 3:22 PM  

"Never ask a fella where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya. If he's not, it's never polite to embarrass a man."

Funny, even though I'm not a Texan either.

By Blogger Scott, at 4:54 PM  

haha i love it scott

By Blogger Beverly, at 5:32 PM  

great story, bev. can't believe i just now saw it. i've checked this thing numerous times today. what's up with that?

By Blogger Candy, at 7:03 PM  

I love what Scott said! Isn't there a saying that goes something like, "I'm not from Texas, but I got here as quick as I could?"

By Blogger Jeans, at 7:17 AM  

I was on a houseboat vacation in 2003! It's an old picture!!

Point being: Yep, I'm still jealous...

By Blogger Lucas, at 8:54 AM  

Blondie...oh..well be jealous girl cause it was amazing..

Jeans and Scott...nice..those are great..

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:05 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home