Friday, June 02, 2006

Our house is a very, very, very fine house*

So, my favorite house we lived in was on Prince Street, in Tallahassee, Florida.
I learned how to ride a bike there..
I got to be best buds with Johnny Culpepper...my first guy friend..
I had an amazing rabbit...
In the back of the house were woods and if you walked back there you would come up on sink holes...we would ride our bikes up and down those sinkholes..
I had Blondie, my all time favorite dog, (cover your ears, Jett)...
We caught baby squirrels and they would die and we would all walk to the cemetary and bury the animal..we had alot of graves...which sounds kinda weird to me now...
I remember cranking ice cream on the back steps..
There was this black woman, Mini, and she would come to do ironing for mamma and I loved her! I would pull up a chair and she would talk to me for hours about everything. I was in second grade and just mesmerized by her..

What was your favorite house you grew up in..maybe you just lived in just one...what made it special?..

*From "Our House" by Crosby, Stills and Nash

19 comment(s):

i saw that movie

By Blogger Clint, at 8:25 PM  

what movie?

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:26 PM  

I'm living in it right now. The people make it special.

By Blogger Candy, at 9:09 PM  

Candy..I bet its pretty crazy over there...I hope my boy is behaving himself! I went walking instead of coming over, sorry.

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:42 PM  

I have some fond memories of living in a tent in the mountains, but I never really felt connected to any of the houses in which we lived.

When I take the kids to camp, though, and I go to my tent for a nap there on the shore and hear the breeze blow through the ironwoods, the temp is almost the same as it was in the mountains in the summer, and I am back in our family tent at 12, before the world went terribly wrong (puberty). God I loved living there in the mountains.

By Blogger Scott, at 12:57 AM  

oh boy..you colorado people..
Scott..man, you have lived in some beautiful places...

By Blogger Beverly, at 1:06 AM  

Great picture, Bev.

I grew up in the same house before I moved away to college. Same room. Same bed. Same walls. I think I'm unique for that reason when I talk to my friends.

By Blogger Cole, at 6:18 AM  

lynette...yes, memories where we live today..oh and you would have been very proud of me last night keeping my committment to my brother...

Cole Bennett..are you commenting on my blog..?...Thanks..I love it..

Its true there are not many one house people around..

By Blogger Beverly, at 6:40 AM  

I am a "one house" gal. I lived on 87th Place in Los Angeles. My husband says it was Watts, but it was South Central LA. We played baseball in the street and sometimes one of the neighbors would call the Police on us and they would come and tell us to play at the park. I lived within walking distance of Pepperdine College - before there was a Malibu campus. I have fond memories of my part of the world.

By Blogger Vonnie, at 8:08 AM  

South Central hey..we need to let Happytheman in on that..
The police were called to my house super bowl sunday because I had lots of middle schoolers over and they were playing in the street..luckily I knew the cop..

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:23 AM  

I really like the painting. Did you do it?

By Blogger Joyce, at 4:39 PM  

no i didn't, but I loved it too..got it off yahoo images..

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:44 PM  

yikes..sage..you know we just met you ...we could believe anything..
tell me about your icon and why you picked it..is it a wolf..?

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:58 PM  

Hey Beverly,

I have a favorite house out of three that made up my childhood. I love it because, as a seventh grader, I happened to get a really cool room that the previous owners designed for their college aged daughter--it had a door that went out on the porch and a great bathroom off of it. If only we could have lived there longer!

My husband and I just returned from taking our family on a little vacation to Rockport (we used to live in Corpus Chrisit, just right outside of there), and we went by our old house. I could not believe how overcome with emotion I was-- I thought of how my youngest daughter was born in that house and how much of my life was spent there when the girls were so little that I could practically leave the house. So much of our time was spent there. Now, it is someone's else's house, holding someone else's memories, so that was a bit strange to see.

I have been away from home for a few weeks, on this vacation and seeing family, so now that I have access to a computer again, I will get back to blogging ;) Thanks so much for checking in!

Hope you are well!

By Blogger Laurie, at 9:20 PM  

okay, Sage, whatever fries your chicken..

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:22 AM  

The house I grew up in is uh, the house I'm still in, believe it or not. I've only "temporarily" lived in other places, but not another house I could call home.

By Blogger Lucas, at 9:29 AM  

I grew up in a white brick house in Midland, TX, from the time I was eight until I went to college...we'd moved a lot when I was little but we decided to put down some roots in M-town. I love that house...the big back porch and the tiny backyard, the two huge picture windows that kept the den full of light, the cheerful kitchen where I spent so many hours. My parents moved a couple of months ago, to a nice new house north of town. It's true that wherever they are will always be home. But I miss my old house.

My other favorite house is the little cottage in Abilene I just moved out of...see my recent blog post for more about that.

By Blogger Katie, at 11:50 AM  

Hey! Another "joyce"! (I got confused for a minute and was having trouble remembering why I commented about a painting!)

By Blogger reJoyce, at 6:44 AM  

hahah..i thought that was you too, girl..

By Blogger Beverly, at 9:32 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home