Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Here's Whitney about to rappell off a cliff in Tennessee. I remember the first time I went climbing and rappelling. A group of us went from Abilene. Bobby Woods was our fearless leader. Our first day out, he pointed to a cliff we were to climb then rappell down. I watched as others made their way up the cliff. Each step, each desperate search for a foothole, was intentional. It was my turn. They put the billay (sp?) line around me. This line would be used to pull me up or catch me if I fell. At that point, precautions made me suspect of the danger I was embarking on. I looked up and saw my leader. Bobby was smiling, so sure that I could do it, so I proceeded. I made my way up the cliff, breathless and afraid but telling myself to just find the next foothole and make it up this cliff. At one point, I slid for about 15 feet, leaving me a bit bloody and terrified, wanting to go home now..but I kept going. I made my way to the top reaching for Bobby's hand to pull me over the last step. I stood there looking out over where I had come from and was amazed. Now, I am to rappell. Bobby says, "Just sit back and let go of the rope." What?..I am telling you, it goes against every sensible bone in your body. I trusted Bobby. I dangled like a spider from its web over a cliff and let go.......I loved it...Most everyone went back to camp after they did there climb and rappell but me and two others hiked the back of the cliff and Bobby let us rappell many more times. I am not sure what brought such joy. I had overcome a fear...I had accomplished something or maybe... I had completely put my trust in someone else and it brought me joy.
I am thinking, these days, if I have completely put my trust in God...Is there a last leap of vulnerability..?
When I am afraid, I will trust in you. Psalms 56:3

8 comment(s):

there is never a last leap of vulnerability. there is a hard leap just as your first rappell but then we climb higher and do it again and as our faith grows so does our love of the mountain.
you are a fine mountain woman.

By Blogger Clint, at 7:02 AM  

Go, Whitney!

By Blogger Deana Nall, at 7:47 AM  

Good point, Clint...I'm learning..

Deana..isn't our Whitney amazing!

By Blogger Beverly, at 10:55 AM  

It's so funny -- when our kids are little we do so much to try to protect them from getting hurt. Then comes an age where we say, "Here, honey, tie a rope around your waist and jump off this mountain." or "Here are some keys to a two-ton piece of gasoline-powered steel. Have fun!"

I'm not ready for all that yet!

By Blogger Deana Nall, at 12:19 PM  

Don't get the wrong idea, Deana, she was on Spring Break with a group in Chattanooga..I'm not sure I could have stood by and watched this...
Sam turns 15 next month..I hear you about the car..haha..oh dear..

By Blogger Beverly, at 12:25 PM  

Now that deana put it like that - "Here are some keys to a two-ton piece of gasoline-powered steel. Have fun!" - I am so glad Max is only 14 and 3 months old. I'll be praying for Sam. AND WOW BEV!!! I am so impressed that you did it! I don't know if I could. I think I could rappell, but I don't think I could climb that mountain. I think I could jump out of a plane though. Really, I mean it.

By Blogger Candy, at 3:21 PM  

Sam said he will jump out of a plane with me when I turn 50!

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:43 PM  

Man, I am so not into heights! As I recall, Bev, it was much more fun watching you do all that work than doing it myself. You are fearless, and hooting all the way down!

Your kids have a precious jewel in you, definitely a diamond, because no rock face could ever scratch that!

You are all in my prayers. :)

By Blogger Deb, at 5:31 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home