Sunday, March 12, 2006


The water is wide,
I can't cross o'er
And neither have I wings to fly
Build me a boat that can carry two
And two shall row, my love and I

I cant' find who wrote this song. This is one of my favorite songs. I have heard alot of different artists sing this song. I listen to James Taylor sing it, as I sit at my computer.
Do you ever feel the water is wide and you have no answers? I love this song because the author has found the remedy to a very overwhelming situation. You need a boat and someone to help you row it...
So what or who do you guys think the boat represents and what of the two rowing? You tell me what your interpretation is then....I'll tell you mine..

8 comment(s):

they are not rowing they are poling. If they are not happy then are they gay.

By Blogger Clint, at 2:34 PM  

Clint! I was hoping noone noticed! Maybe I should change the picture..

By Blogger Beverly, at 2:39 PM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Blogger Beverly, at 2:39 PM  

There is that better...

By Blogger Beverly, at 3:25 PM  

I like the new picture. :) But now the two rowers are invisible!

Thought you might like to read this link with regards to the origin of this lovely folk ballad (first published 1724):
http://www.contemplator.com/england/water.html

Some sources have it first sung to a tune from Scotland, and from there it made it to Ireland. In America, it was first sung as 'O Waly, Waly'.

My choirs have sung several different arrangements of this -- always a haunting melody and theme. Captures lots of imaginations is a great way! So I guess my interpretation would depend on the arrangement/artist version being used. I kinda like it when it is melded together with 'Shenandoah'. But it has a certain romance when I imagine an old boat crossing from the western shores of Scotland to Northern Ireland, making it across the Atlantic, and then back again. Kind of like a bridge between the ages and the ancestors.

Blessings!

By Blogger Deb, at 3:48 PM  

deb, are you a music teacher..or do you own your own choirs?..I realized that might be a stupid question.

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:52 PM  

i like the pic. it gives me hope. i have a love, all i needed was a boat.

By Blogger Clint, at 5:55 PM  

I think the boat is shaped like a cross and Jesus and I are rowing. And dang, I wish I'd seen the first picture.

By Blogger Candy, at 7:20 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home