Monday, March 20, 2006


My son wore a tie to church yesterday. My son's usual church attire consists of cargo shorts and a polo shirt. He had a friend spend the night, on Saturday night, and they decided to wear ties to church. First, you must understand that my son is coolness. As we were walking out, to go to church, he said, "Mom, I'm scared." I sensed he was questioning the coolness of the tie. I told him the tie looked awesome on him and he went in to church and survived it. He even told me he wanted to go buy a tie.
I was moved when Sam told me he was scared. I thought, wow, now that, is the ultimate coolness, to be able to say, "I'm scared." Do you have a safe place to just blurt out, "I'm scared." I have an amazing small group, from church, where I have found that safe place. We are a collection of some disfunctional people who are taking real joy in finding each other. Sometimes, when I am sitting in church, with everyone dressed to the nines and smiles on their faces, I just want to walk up to the microphone and ask, "Are you scared?" Realness is coolness and that...is what that Galilean is all about.

7 comment(s):

Yep - and that he feels safe with you, especially. Coolest of cools.

By Blogger Scott, at 1:09 PM  

Why is it that church can sometimes be the worst place to go to feel accepted? I remember being scared when I, in Texas, I went for the first time to church without wearing any make-up. I guess it scared other worshippers, too, because they looked so concerned when they saw my face and asked if everything was going okay.

Freedom, baby!

That said, I think your now wonderful memory of Sam and his friend wanting to wear ties is too rich with stories for us all. Go Sam!

Reminds me of that hymn, 'Safe in the arms of Jesus ...'

By Blogger Deb, at 3:24 AM  

Sam told me about that yesterday in the car. He really is a cool kid. I love that they did that. I especially love that he admitted to you that he was scared. By the way, did he mention that I told him about our group tattoo? He told me he thought he'd be bored Sunday night so I told him he should have given us a chance, that we're pretty fun old folks. I'm trying to get him to think our small group is cool too so he'll hang around.

By Blogger Candy, at 4:04 AM  

haha...yes,he thought that was funny. He said, "Mom, you never would get a tattoo, would you?"...Sam is an observer...he is watching and listening to this group. This is the kind of introduction to church that I want Sam to have..real people..real God.

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:21 AM  

Scott..yes, you don't know what that means to me for him to blurt that out to me..I am always honored..

Deb..its true..what are we doing to ourselves..maybe being dressed to the nines enables us to hide whats really going on inside..i don't know..
Safe in the arms of Jesus...that's where I want to be..

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:24 AM  

I think it's great that he wore a tie, and that he told you he was scared. I feel that it is so very important to be real with people.

By Blogger Jeans, at 10:54 AM  

So true, Jeans..that seems to be my life theme, right now.
I just love you...you live in Abilene..don't you?
We should meet for coffee...wouldn't that be fun. Then I can hold your hand as we pray for your job decision and you can hold my hand as we pray for the crazyness in my life..

By Blogger Beverly, at 11:26 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home