Sunday, April 02, 2006

I love thunderstorms...


She lived to be 100 years old. The lines on her face were like deep river beds brought about by rains of experience. She was raised by a Father who had become a christian after reading the Bible during his time as a POW in the Civil War. She married a preacher and raised four kids in Montgomery, Alabama. She loved her husband and told me many stories about him. He was friends with George Washington Carver. She was my safe haven. In my chaotic world, her love for me brought me peace. At Christmas time, we would travel from Tallahassee to Montgomery to spend the holidays with her. I can remember waking up to my Mother whispering, "We're here." Pulling up to Grandma's house, you could see her little 3 foot silver tree, in the window, and the room turning colors from red to blue to green from the color wheel she had plugged in. Jumping out of our station wagon, I would run, opening the squeaky screen door and ring the doorbell. And then...the sound I loved to hear, her high heels knocking on the wood floor as she hurried to the door. She opened the door and opened her arms. She was my good friend. Our relationship was grounded by summers spent together. I was too young to go to camp so they would drop me off at Grandma's house. She was a strong woman but had two great fears. She was afraid of birds and she was afraid of thunderstorms. I don't understand the bird phobia, but the thunderstorm fear was understandable. Thunderstorms in Montgomery were fierce at times. When one would would roll in she would get me to go lie down with her. We would lie there until the worst had passed. She would tell me stories of her youth. She would tell me stories of her husband and her children. How can this be such a rich warm time for me but for my Grandmother, a time of extreme fear? I felt safe and warm and loved and though I would never tell her, I would wish this thunderstorm would never end.
To this day..I love thunderstorms....

14 comment(s):

I love thunderstorms too. The gift of storytelling was definitely passed on to you, Beverly. You have a great way with words and I love it when I click on "The Walk" and there's a new post here. Can't wait to see you tonight. We need to make some plans.

By Blogger Candy, at 12:56 PM  

I agree with Candy--I have so enjoyed reading your blog. I love the description in this post. Thanks for sharing...

By Blogger Laurie, at 1:21 PM  

Good stuff Bev. Growing up in So Cal I only remember one thunderstorm my Mom and I sat out on the back porch and watched the lighting.

I love them now. Open the garage door and sit in the garage and watch them row through....

By Blogger happytheman, at 8:28 PM  

Candy...so good to see you tonight..just not enough time.

Laurie..I love it that you visit my blog,friend.

happytheman...my son is 14 and the other night we had a thunderstorm. Sam got up and turned out all the lights and opened the front and back door. His friend, who was spending the night, said, "What are you doing,Sam?" Sam said, "Oh we just like to experience the storm." I'm glad Sam likes storms too.

By Blogger Beverly, at 8:36 PM  

oooh Beverly, I got such a great image from that! You being held in the storm...not wanting the storm to end because being held close felt so good. Perhaps that is why Paul praised God for trials...

By Blogger gracie, at 10:10 PM  

Man, I think I'm gonna go call my granny. Great post.

By Blogger Scott, at 1:25 AM  

During our worst fears, God reaches through to touch and bolster others' lives. You have inherited your grandmother's legacy for this gift!

What a beautiful story, Bev. Your imagery is beautiful and so real. Whatever happend to those old colour wheels?

By Blogger Deb, at 2:59 AM  

gracie..what a great point..hadn't thought of that. Okay..special request for a poem about thunderstorms..welcome, by the way...thanks for dropping by.

scott..tell granny Hi!

deb..so true. I wish I had my Grandma's color wheel. It was just hilarious, she had this color wheel for a large tree shining on this little tiny tree..cracked us up.

chad..now thunderstorms while camping is scarey to me. My sister and I were camped at a summit on the applachian trail falling asleep holding hands..it was frightening.
Yes, I will tell whitney hi.
monohans..I want to go take Sam and his friends to slide down those dunes..is it cool?

By Blogger Beverly, at 4:18 AM  

That is beautiful!

By Blogger Jeans, at 10:49 AM  

Thanks for your comment on my blog today :) It made me feel a little better

By Blogger Lucas, at 10:53 AM  

jeans..I'm glad you thought it was beautiful!

blondie..you hang in there girl..

By Blogger Beverly, at 3:04 PM  

fw..it was actually Blue Jays and they had it in for her..they would swoop down and scare her to death..I think they sensed her fear..it was great entertainment for me.

By Blogger Beverly, at 7:45 AM  

I love thunderstorms too

By Blogger Clint, at 8:54 AM  

Beverly!! Hi, I finally came over to visit. You are so wonderful.
I love you!!
I want to make plans with you :)

By Blogger Kate Eason, at 6:36 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home